Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Norton Ghost Questions 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trudye

Programmer
Sep 4, 2001
US
I have a few questions about Norton/Symantec Ghost software. I just purchased it and backed up my hdd to a Image file. I have read the help file but just want to be sure of some things.

Ghost implies that it reformats the hdd that you want to restore to, is that true?

I want to run a test of the restore process on another PC that I don't use. Can I just insert the boot disk (A:/) and reboot the old PC? And then using Ghost.exe restore my Image file to the old PC?

I noticed that Ghost uses PC DOS as opposed to MS DOS. I looked up PC DOS and from what I read the commands should be the same. Does anyone know it that's true?

I recently suffered hdd failure and I want to insure that I am protected. I would prefer to find out now what I have to do to get back up and running rather than wait until the next failure.

Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks so much
Trudye

jdeane,
Would you please tell me how to get the sys files from the CD. I checked my system and none of the four files are there.
Thanks for the very helpful info.

Regards
Alan

find the driver.cab file on your orginal OS cd or service pack.

at the dos prompt type:
expand d:\i386\driver.cab /f:FILENAME c:\winnt\system32\drivers

do this for each of the 4 files you are missing

One thing also, you can use a network boot disk and get the images off a server, is what i do and is the best solution. I've been using it for win98 for 4 years, hasn't given me any problems, i only had 1 2k machine so it didnt' make much sense to use ghost when backup was right there free in windows. If you need more details for using the network boot disk reply back

Thanks,
James
[afro][mad]
"Make it idiot-proof and someone will make a better idiot." ~bumper sticker

devilman,
I would like more info on setting up a network boot disk. That is an area I have little knowledge. In particular I have a need to image and restore Toshiba notebooks to/from a server. The server is just a dedicated Win2k Pro workstation with a number of HDDs.

Kind regards
Alan

First of all, you need to have your ghost exe in some shared drive, along with the images(as you must already know) then down load a network boot disk from here: you can download a automatic creation file that will automatically create the disk for you, note: you need to have an unused windows 98 licence if you are using this on a non win98 machine -- from what the site says. When you down load the auto install package it should have most of the drivers on it, but if for some reason your driver isn't on there, look toward the bottom of that page to find drivers for your card. The first download worked for me on intel and 3com nics, it will automatically detect which brand and card is installed. Once you get it running, it is failry simple to get going, on screen instructions are fairly simple. If you need more detail, just let me know

Thanks,
James
[afro][mad]
"Make it idiot-proof and someone will make a better idiot." ~bumper sticker

I've a question on GHOST.EXE. I created the necessary DOS bootable diskettes and connected my to PCs using a parallel cable connected to LPT port. I notice two things:

1. When I run GHOST.EXE, I can't select LPT because it's greyed out.
2. If I try to run GHOST.EXE -LPM from the command line, I get an Error 33001 "Driver for LPT peer to peer is not loaded".

Can anyone tell me what to do to get this working? What driver is this refering to?

susheel777 - you really need to create a dos bootable disk using the Ghost boot wizard as this includes a parallel port driver which Ghost needs in order to access the port.

mtanner01 - you should not replace the files if they already exist as they will have been update by any service packs you have installed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back