Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Norton Ghost Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

m1ckey

IS-IT--Management
Jul 12, 2001
GB
I have created a ghosted image, I have placed this onto a bootable CD-ROM, when I restore the image, I get errors during the mini setup stage that sysprep forces on first reboot, which are unrecoverable. When I restore the ghost image from the multicast server everything is fine.

Anyone have any ideas.

Dan

Wow - we're heavy Ghost users for a 35,000+ desktop rollout from server and CD and that's a weird one I've never seen?! I'm assuming you've re-burned the CD? And if we assume that the data image is identical on the CD and server, that means it's being changed while being laid down on the drive. Since you're using the same processor to unravel it from CD or server, could it be the DOS CD-ROM driver problem?! What exactly is the error? Are you leaving the disc in the system during mini-setup (not that this causes us a problem)?

Either way I'm very interested in seeing how this turns out - sorry I don't have better info. Heath
Principal Systems Engineer
Desktop and Mobile Platforms

that is a good point about the CD-rom driver, i did think of changing maybe i should. It seems to be an intermittant fault during the mini setup saying that some parts of the setup failed ???

Its got me I will keep ypu posted

Dan

I have a suggestion for you. I have seen wierd problems with CDs I've created. My solution was to burn the CD at a lower speed. I originally did it at 12x and after burning it at 4x I didn't have any more problems.

Good luck
K-

That's a good one as well - I've had problems with faster speeds as well. In those cases the ghost image coming down gave a problem though rather than the OS during the remainder of the install. Certainly worth checking into! Heath
Principal Systems Engineer
Desktop and Mobile Platforms

Chaps they are both valid points, I did burn the CD at 4 speed, I suppose I could try dropping it lower. I will post something soon.

Cheers

Dan

Hi,
I had a thought also on this problem.
I was wondering if it was the way the CD was being
burned.
I use EZ CD Creater 5 and I was having an issue with
seeing cd's in dos at first. To solve the problem I changed
the burn method from CDrom XA to CDrom and also the file system from iso9960 to Joiliette. ( I know Bad spelling) .

Just a thought

--Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back