Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Norton Ghost Kills UCX VOIP Traffic

Status
Not open for further replies.

klocke77

Vendor
Sep 18, 2015
CA
Hello :)

We have a client that runs Norton Ghost over their network and it kills all of their UCX VOIP traffic.

Is the only way around this:

A) Move the UCX and phones onto a separate subnet and install a router between this network and the main data network
B) Turn on QOS on the main data network to prioritize VOIP traffic

Please advise.

Thanks!

99% of my installs are on separate physical networks.
You can use VLANs, if your infrastructure (switches, router, etc.) supports it.
QOS works, but it takes time to fine tune it and somebody will always complain that their computer is not as fast as it was before.

Increase bandwidth
Schedule NG to run after hours

I will deffo check this out with my client, to see if their router supports VLANs.

Interesting you mention that all of your installs are on separate physical networks. We have 2% of our clients that are like this, the rest do not segregate their VOIP/data traffic. We could ask them to segregate the traffic before installation, but the cost of implementation of the UCX would potentially increase. Most of our clients are small/medium business, it's a massive investment.

The great advantage of the UCX, if the customer is using only digital sets, is no rewiring!
Get a router that supports multiple LAN ports (subnets), a 5 port switch to connect to the router, the UCX, and the Digital Gateway.
A different story when IP Phones are used. Most of my clients require GB Lan speeds and piggy backing of the IP Phone would drop their speed. Most cases a new drop pulled is not as expensive as a GB IP Phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back