Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Norton Corporate 7.61

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashpp

IS-IT--Management
Sep 28, 2002
GB
DETAILS :

Windows 2000 SP2 server. Windows 2000 SP3 clients. NAV 7.61 installed on the server with AMS but without the SSC installed.
NAV was installed on the clients using the NAV MSI using Group Policy (grc.dat was included in the distributed.

PROBLEM :

1] At the moment I cannot install the SSC because IE5.5 is required which isn't a option at the moment. All the clients have been installed and our pointing towards the correct server, and have the latest updates from the server. The question - will the clients automatically get the latest updates when the server updates them? Or does a setting need to be made in the SSC.

&

2] When manually removing the NAV software from one of the clients I had to use the symantec password to complete the deinstallation. Later on if I remove NAV using group policy will the deinstallation automatically work or not?

Thanks in advance

Ash.

If you have performed a 'server rollout' to your parent server, your clients will receive updated definitions. Configure NAV CE on the parent to perform a live update daily.

Once you have NAV installed on the clients, why would you want to uninstall it en masse?

Why can't you have IE on the server?

You can install the SSC on a workstation. Be sure to install the files necessary to perform client and server rollouts so that you can push NAV to new clients. This will allow you to manage NAV throughout your network.

We maid the same installation with Vers.7.5 (MSI) thrue group policy. And it worked with both 7.5 and 7.6.
Version 8.0 doesnt work with the MSI packge :-(

1) You dont need SSC for updating clients, you just run the latest .exe file on your server wich you find on the Symantec site. That will update all the clients without SSC.
AS fuego007 said you can install SSC on a worksation.

2) I believe that with a newer version you would like to uninstall the old version before you install the newer version, thats why the mass uninstallment.
We havent tryed that yet but we are about to do that in a few months.
You have a point there with the password wich we havent tought about.
Thank you.
I will post our test later here.

MF

Hi Guys,

1) Thanks. Its autoupdating without SSC.

2) Whisper you are correct. The mass uninstall it to update to a newer version.
I did a bit of a test and deallocated it from 1 workstation and it hung on the deallocation, and then hung when I tried to reallocate.
I then tried to install manually - it gave a few error and wouldn't install. I couldn't be bothered to mess around it anymore and reimaged the machine.

> Version 8.0 doesnt work with the MSI packge

I know, and Symantec don't seem to care either.

Ash.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back