Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Norton CE 8x problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

1MT

Technical User
Sep 4, 2002
US
Hi guys,

This issue involves WinXP Pro OS.
I have a Norton problem that is about to start a vicious cycle. I hope someone can help me, or has had a similar problem.

It started with a complaint from a user, norton was popping up a message saying it wasn't active. After inspecting I found that I could not activate the virus scanner. I decided to try to uninstall Norton using add/remove programs and it kept telling me that I had the wrong version of InstallShield...that my version was too old to perform the operation. Upon inspection, I found that I did have the right version, but installed it over hoping it would work. It didn't.

So I tried to install over the previous copy, and got "there was an error loading Transman.dll. I consulted with my boss and we agreed to try to remove Norton manually. I got the instructions and did surgery on the registry, and then attempted a re-install.

Halfway through the re-install, I get an error saying that something interrupted the insall process and that I needed to run setup again. I did, but I never got a message saying that Norton installed successfully. The Norton shield is present but if I try to "scan computer" for drives to clean, it gives me a generic "windows has encountered an error and needs to shutdown error" everytime.

So, now I am back to square one with probably trying to uninstall it and re-install it again, probably running into the same issues again.

Just wondering, has anyone encountered these errors, or have any techs found a way around this cycle?

Thanks in advance
1MT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back