Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Norton AV 8.0 Corp Client Uninstall Help Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjwirtgen

IS-IT--Management
Jun 3, 2004
US
We are running Norton AV 8.0 Corp with active Clients and in need of help uninstalling clients that have stopped responding to the managed server config. When you try to uninstall of course it asks for a password but because you are not connected to the server you have no authorization to uninstall. Any idea for the defauly or any easier way to uninstall other than removing 2000 registery enteries.

Any and all help appreciated.

chris

i believe the default password is symantec, all lower case.

I think the password is stored on the machine. It doesn't authenticate with the server. I have machines that have an old GRC.dat on them and I have to remember the old password. If you have any old ones you might try them.

I actually tried symantec upper and lower case and tried a number of other passwords ( old admin and misc ). I believe that it sync's with the server for this procedure. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

chris

Try "norton". That was the default here - could be because we had proviously updated from an older version???

I had exactly the same problem. Try this:

· How do I uninstall Macalester's Symantec Antivirus for Windows software?
Like you uninstall any Windows software: Go to the Control Panel, select Add/Remove Programs, highlight Symantec Antivirus Client, then click Remove. BUT there may be a catch. Spring 2003 downloads of the Norton AntivirusWindows installer were configured so that you had to have a password to uninstall the software. This was unintentional. Download and run this program before you try uninstalling Norton Antivirus. It will eliminate the need for an uninstall password. The program need only be run; it produces no output and takes no input. This is not a problem for the Macintosh or Fall 2003 Windows installers.

It helped.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back