Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Norton AntiVirus won't scan

Status
Not open for further replies.

mudjka

Technical User
Nov 8, 2003
CA
I have a frustrating problem: I load Norton AntiVirus & it won't scan my system. I select "Scan for Viruses" and the Scan Progress window comes up but dissapears almost instantly. I cannot figure out why. I've tried completely deleting the software, reinstalling and still, I have the same problem. I've run all sorts of checks on my system and can't find the problem. I looked on the Symantec site and can't find a thing. What do I do?

I have had problems like that before. The Norton client could not load. What I have ended up doing is closing all programs except the NAV client, stopping any non-essential services and then scanning. The program needs a good chunk of memory and cpu and I found it works much faster when I close any programs and unload some services.

1) Have you done a Live Update to make sure you have all the latest files?

2) Have you tried scanning in Safe Mode?

Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most......

Could also be a virus shutting the scanner down? Check your startup points, turn off everything, reload the scanner, update, scan again.

Matt J.

update your ver of symantec to 8.1 this may solve your issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back