Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NORTON AntiVirus for Microsoft Exchange Auto LiveUpdate

Status
Not open for further replies.

bongtz

Technical User
May 19, 2003
MY
I installed Norton AntiVirus for Microsoft Exchange (NAVASE) v2.18(Build 76) to my Windows NT Server that runing Microsoft Exchange 5.5. To enable it to run the LiveUpdate automatically i use the Schedule Task as a triggerring purpose. Problem that i face are: -

The LiveUpdate that i scheduled was not able to run if i logout from PC. it do not have any problem to run if i didn't logout/logoff from PC.

Anyone Please Tell me What problem. Is it the setting was no correct?

It should update itself. Do you have a more up to date version? I'm running much newer than that but don't know what works under 5.5.

What version of NORTON AntiVirus for Microsoft Exchange you currently using?

Are you sure this is the version of (NAVASE)NORTON AntiVIrus for Microsoft Exchange?

Well its now badged as Symantec but yes it is the version of the Exchange server AV I'm running that is the latest version from Norton under my corporate agreement with them.

How you schedule your LiveUpdate?

Can't open the link that you give

I don't think you should use LiveUpdate. According to Symantec's website, the LiveUpdate virus definitions are only updated once per week, or sooner only if a major outbreak occurs.

I've written a Delphi program that automatically downloads and installs the IntelligentUpdate virus definitions (which are updated every working day). I highly recommend you do something similar.

Griffyn,
I'm NOT similar with the Delphi program. Please advice...

Hi bongtz,

Sorry - I'm not sure what you're asking. Are you asking for more information regarding my Delphi program?

Delphi is a programming language, and unfortunately I cannot distribute the program I wrote with it as it belongs to my employer. However, I am free to guide you in getting a program written yourself.

Essentially, follow the links on the symantec site to download the Intelligent Updater virus definitions. This should be here:

I've had issues in the past with this page and my program sometimes, so you can also use:

Both link to the same download program, so they're safe to use.

The problem is that the download program's name changes with every release, and there's no apparent way to anticipate what it will be. My solution is to download the webpage itself, and scan the links for the first .exe file and then download it, and then execute it. That will update the definitions.

Your program should remember the previous .exe file's name, and only download when it changes, thus guaranteeing you're not downloading the same file again and again.

Another tip for you if you haven't done it already - On your Exchange server, set up the Internet Mail Service so that it's dependant on the NAV for Exchange service. This way it is impossible to to have incoming mail unless your anti-virus is running. A couple of times in the past I've the NAV service fail because of a bad virus definition set or something, and I've been saved from having hundreds of viruses get in because it's stopped any new incoming mail (which was simply held at our ISP until we came back online).

Griffyn,

Forgot to tell you that in our working enviroment. i cannot install the IntelligentUpdate virus definitions because it will slowdown my server. No only that it also will affact all the users when because of the slowing in thier email.

p/s. Once you install the update it will scan through all the mailboxes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back