Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Norton Antivirus for Exchange

Status
Not open for further replies.

snicks2

MIS
Apr 26, 1999
US
I am using NAV for Exchange and have Exchange 5.5 sp3. Three questions...

I have selected the option that strips attachments with extensions I specify and delivers the remainder of the message. It doesn't deliver the remainder of the message though. It only notifies us that the attachment has been deleted and notifies the recipient. Is there a setting I am missing?

Scan Engine errors... I know that this has been a know problem with NAV for Exchange but I was wondering if you had a work around. My scenario is ...randomly, when a user sends a message to a distribution list, they will get this message for one or more recipients and the entire message will be deleted and not sent to that person but delivered to the rest of the dist list. I don't see a connection between the people that are getting the Scan Engine error and it is intermittent. I can not recreate the problem.
Recipient of the attachment: Joe User\Inbox Subject of the message: test.abc or more attachments were quarantined.

Attachment embedmsg.msg was Quarantined for the following reasons:

Scan Engine error in extracting a file from a compressed file occurred in __substg1.0_007D001E.

Finally, I am using NAV Corporate Edition for clients and NAV for Exchange on the Exchange server. The local NAV on the server is just the regular version of NAV for NT. Is this OK or should I upgrade to NAVCE on the Exchange Server too? I was afraid to do that because of the auto update and problems I have had with other servers and the NAVCE taking too much overhead.

Thanks

Man, suggest to give up NAV for exchange ,and use Trends Scanmail.

I disagree with jjzhang. NAV for exchange is an excellent product, although it is not as easy to get it to strip out attachments. If you have another server you can throw in the loop, you could use NAV for e-mail Gateways. It is very easy to configure any way you want.

As for using NAV for NT (or NAVCE, for that matter), go to the Symantec web site and find the document that details what folders you MUST exclude from scanning by NAV NT (or CE). Among them is the x:\exchsrvr\mdbdata folder (the one that contains your transaction log files). If you don't exclude this folder and something comes in with a message, NAV NT will likely quarrantine the log file and cause the IS to stop! You need to do this right away!

Bob

I agree with fuego007, NAV is expensive, but very reliable and does not conflict with other apps - such as Arcserve. Stick with it despite some limitations.

I agree with jjzhang... I have had none of the issues you have had with Trend ScanMail. ScanMail, in conjunction with ServerProtect provides an excellent barrier against incoming mail-borne virii. ScanMail, like all of Trend's products have very little impact on the system performance.

Just my 2-cents...

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back