Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Norton antivirus 7.5 corporate edition won't uninstall

Status
Not open for further replies.

unclepink

Programmer
Mar 22, 2002
US
hi guys,
i upgraded my OS from win 09 to win 2000 pro and did not format the drive before that.. now the norton antivirus of the old system does not run in the newer version and the worst part is it doesnot get uninstalled.. not only that it does not even let me install a new one.. i went to the symantec website and lots of people have had the same problem in the past so they gave a step by step instruction to unistall all the components manually from all the places.. i wasted one hour doing that as well but for no use.. its very irritating to have some program in your control panel knowing that it does not do anything moreover i messed around too much with my system registry.. what is the best thing i can do right now???
thanks
pink

I had the same problem with an upgrade to win2000. I uninstalled all Norton programs, and then tried to install Norton 2002 Systemworks, and it wouldn't let me install the anti-virus program, because there was a previous version still installed on the machine. I used the tool and still didn't work. Finally after using the find command in the registry, and manually removing all references to Norton, Symantec, NAV, antivirus, it let me install it. However, the antivirus is still not working correctly, and I think that I am going to have to wipe and do a clean installation.
If anyone knows of a workaround other than this please let me know also.

Shawn

On the Symantec site there is a document that documents all the steps needed to manually uninstall NAVCE. There's quite a few steps involved. I did it once, seemed to work OK, but I wound up reinstalling the OS a week or so later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back