Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Norton Antivirus 2007 doesn't like Zone Alarm

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobNY

Technical User
Sep 6, 2001
US
System is as follows: Windows XP-Pro, SP2; Zone Alarm Pro ver. 7.0.337.000.

I got a good deal on a 3 user license for Norton Antivirus 2007. After I installed it, my system started crashing, Norton wouln't load, MS word would not launch, and the entire system would crash.

I am receiving the following error message when I try to launch NAV 2007:"Unable to open this Norton product. Please restart your computer (8500, 108)". Restarting does not help. On line help asked whether I had Zone Alarm Pro installed. When I replied affirmatively, the recommendation was "Symantec testing has confirmed that this error happens when Norton AntiVirus 2007 is installed on top of ZoneAlarm Pro 6.5. Because of this known problem, Symantec recommends that you uninstall Zone Alarm Pro:.

Imagine that. Their only recommendation is to uninstall ZAP. Well for the time being, I uninstalled NAV.

My question:
1. Is there a solution to this problem such that I can retain both software programs?

Any recommendations and comments are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob

ZoneAlarm interferes with a lot of programs (it isn't just a Norton thing). Well, I use Norton Antivirus Corporate on one computer, but I have another firewall called Jetico Personal Firewall. It is free. If you search on you can find a lot of free software like that. OR what you could try is get Sygate personal firewall (another free program) and use that in conjunction with AVG Antivirus. I use those combinations on two different computers and they work fine. The funny thing is that you can't use Sygate with Norton, even though they are both made by Symantec. Give those a shot.

Thanks clintblack, I'll give it a go. Too bad though. I liked Zone Alarm.

I like Segate as well. I just wish it would work with Symantec Corporate. Zone Alarm is kind of a pain. If you have a Windows floating profile, for instance, Zone Alarm will mess it all up. There are a lot of free firewalls (among other things) on PC World's website. I find them very helpful. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back