Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Norton Antivirus 2003 CPU usage 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgbrock

Technical User
Mar 27, 2003
US
I recently upgraded (?) from 2002 to 2003 on an XP home machine. Almost immediately I noticed that the machine was acting funny. Stuttering almost. For instance, a screen saver would move, stop, move, stop. I checked the CPU usage and it was way up there. Even when the machine was idle. The Navapsvc (autoprotect) was the process using all the cycles. Disabled the autoprotect and the problem went away. Start it again and the trouble is back. Anyone else seen this? I don't recall ever having this problem with previous versions, and I have used a lot of them. I emailed Symantec, but I am not hopeful about getting a helpful answer, or if past experience is any guide, any answer.

The process will not allow itself to be downgraded in priority, and I am not sure that that would help anyway.

Anyone got any suggestions? Could it be running some first time background scan that I should just wait out?

I have seen the very same thing, when I upgraded from System Works 2002 -> 2003. NAVAPSVC.EXE now consumes 30 - 60% or more of CPU. Only disabling autoprotect (i.e., turning off the navapsvc service) stops this, but that is *not* what is called for. I have an email to Symantec support. Their first "answer" was worthless, and I am *hoping* someone more intelligent responds to my second request. In the mean time, if anyone finds a solution, Please contact me. [ricst at usa dot net]. Thank you

I just spoke with Symantec tech support. I was told that the NAVAPSVC is "probably" competing with some other service, like a printer driver or an IM client, as a result of one of those services being running when I installed System Works 2003. Really: This is what I was told. It was recommended that I should clean boot W2K ( or which doesn't seem to make much difference, and is very complex anyway. So, I am still f*cked. Symantec doesn't think it's a problem, and their software is sucking up CPU on my system. I will mull this over a few days and then decide what competitor's software to use instead!

get rid of it....try pccillin 2000 or 2003, not fancy but works real. (trust me).

Hi there. I also have the same problem, but with Norton Internet Security 2002. At this time (june-6 9h50 a.m., Brazil time), it is consuming 80 to 92% of my CPU. Even when i disable auto-protect, the problem won´t stop. After an hour or two, the proccess hangs, give me an error msg and automatically disable the NAV Auto-Protect. After that, i re-enable and the service works ok for a few days more (i think that it is until reboot the system).
I´ve asked symantec and they answered me to update a file ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/symevnt/sevinst.exe
I did, but the problem remains.
The curious thing is that they don´t answer e-mails, so you always have to send via web form, and then you loose the continuity of the problems solution.

If you have any info about, pls post here.

.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-
Skywalker
May the force be with you - always
P3-866/W2k-SP3/640RAM/20+40HD/MatroxG400-32MB

This is why I like a little not-so-famous product. Hauri.

Has better virus detection, can often repair viruses that norton cannot, and easily kills memory resident viruses (which norton never seems to do). Checkout this comparison of Norton, McAfee, Trend Micro, and Hauri. I recently installed it on a laptop, and it immediately discovered a boot sector virus (Norton 2002 had been installed nearly 2 years ago, and updated daily, it never found it).

Matt

necesito URGENTE bajar NORTON VERSION ULTIMA ANTIVIRUS A QUE PAGINA ME DIRIJO POR FAVOR.
Gracias

Dear Mattjurado, i´ve tried Hauri and doesn´t runned the first scan, and after rebooted and logon, it rebooted again automatically, so i´ve removed of my system via safe mode.

Tutmosis28, tenta symantec.com, ellos tienen la ultima version del antivirus.
De nada.

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-
Skywalker
Visit my website at

Did you uninstall norton first? Perhaps a background process was causing a conflict?

I haven't had any problems like what you described.

Ya seen this as well.

Are any of you running 3DS MAX? The Licensing server messes with AP. There is a patch on the 3DSMAX site for that.

Dear Matjurado, at this moment i am very busy, and can´t try another AV package, but i´ll try hauri next time.

Dear OmegaMan, i was trying 3DS Max 4, but then removed because was running to slow in my system. I´m thinking if the software doesn´t left any DLL running and crashing with Norton AV...
If you have any other tip, pls tell me.

Regards and tks 4 all of u

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-
Skywalker
Visit my website at

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back