Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Norton Antivirus 2002........Slow Startup!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrizzain

IS-IT--Management
May 11, 2002
US
Has anyone else noticed since a couple of updates ago, that NAV is taking its sweet time to start up? Whenever I turn my computer on now, I get the NAV icon with a red X across it until about 30 seconds pass and my drives are scanned. Only then, can I really do anything on my computer....

If you have a network card in your system, make sure that you allocate this ip thread to your ip address manually.

I found this worked for me when running XP.

I just bought a new computer last week, and got my first update over the weekend. NAV seems to start up fine, but it will seemingly at random turn the auto-update off. When I try and right-click to turn it back on, I get to response. When I Start-Program Files-NAV to open it up, it takes at least a good 2 or 3 minutes to open. I wonder if it's related to your problem?

-Joe

I've had this problem on two computers, a desktop and a notebook both runnning Win XP and the problem occurred on them at diffrent times. I don't think it's because of the live updates.

The solution that worked for me on both was to uninstall NAV 2002 and then reinstsall it and run the live update and since then the computers boot up fine and NAV is running immediately. My guess is that something in the Windows XP hotfixes conflicted with NAV.

Hope this works.

I saw a similar problem last weekend on a laptop running XP Home. The red X stayed there for about a minute, and nothing would work for that minute, then everything worked after that. Finally found that a network connection, the AOL WAN driver, was tying things up. I disabled that network connection (he didn't have a Bluetooth anyway) and the problem went away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back