Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Norton Anti-Virus Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

moggy44

Technical User
Nov 13, 2002
GB
I am trying to install Norton Anti-Virus 2003 on a machine running Win XP SP1, after installation Desktop Icon is there but will not respond and System tray icon has red X across tried to uninstall but stalled did system restore to get rid and installed again, with no luck.
Any idea what could cause, I have used this program before with no problems.
Also.
Tried the AVG antivirus D/L but when I try and install the Nero up-dater is started instead of AVG Wizard crazy.

Can anyone help with these problems.
Ran Vcleaner and system seems clear of any Virus I also ran Spyware Doctor and this seems OK.

Regards john.M

Try two of the online scanners from "What are Good Virus/Spyware?Update/Firewall Practices?" faq779-5240

there are several viruses out there that can cause this type of behaviour

Greg Palmer
Free Software for Adminstrators

I think you need to do a complete uninstall before you can re-install it properly.

Have a look at the following url for a removal tool from symantec.

I had a similar problem a while back and the only way to fix it was to complete uninstall after that I could re-install it and it started working ok.

Or you could possibly try updating to NAV2004 as that might work.

The icon on Systray comes up, on startup but then as windows is loading a red X appears, looking on Symantec site it gave me a few options.
Know if I try and uninstall it hangs so i will try the above link and see if will uninstall and then dissable all startup programs in BOOT.ini and see which one causes the problem.
The AVG is still starting up with Nero Updater but if i can get Norton AV I won't need that, I think a program I have on "Roxio EZ 6" still causes a lot of problem I will get shut or try Roxio Media 7 or just use Nero.
There are no Virus or Spyware problems as I have tried gpalmer711 links.

Regards John.m

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back