Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Norton 360 removed (was it?) Can't get rid of Norton firewall!

Status
Not open for further replies.

gusbrunston

Programmer
Feb 27, 2001
US
Hi: Thanks for reading this thread. I removed an expired Norton 360 program to replace with another vendor's security suite. Although the Norton 360 is gone for all I can tell, my Remote Desktop won't allow a remote user in. When I click on "Security" in Control Panel (Win XP) I find that the firewall is still that of Norton 360. No way that I can turn that off or manage the firewall because I have no Norton 360 management program anymore. Is there any way I can get rid of that Norton 360 firewall? e.g. in startup programs, or in the registry. Thanks for any help.
Cheers,
Gus

[tt]Gus Brunston[/tt]

Use the Norton Removal Tool to thoroughly remove all Norton components from your system. You can access this tool from the link below. Just select the appropriate edition of Norton 360 that you were using and follow the steps to run the removal tool.

- Download and run the Norton Removal Tool

Joey
CCNA, MCSA 2003, MCP, A+, Network+, Wireless#

Thanks for responding...I think I used that tool. In any case if it's not already in my program file, I'll try again. But I think now I've got everything the way I need it EXCEPT: now I have two firewalls open at the same time, and since the windows firewall is not open, the other must be the norton 360 firewall. What I need to do is to stop the startup of that firewall on reboot, somehow. Is there a registry entry that I could remove?
Again, thanks very much for your help!
Cheers,
Gus

[tt]Gus Brunston[/tt]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back