Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Nortel Vs Cisco

Status
Not open for further replies.

mckeil95122

Technical User
Aug 11, 2006
US
I know this has been asked and it can be a very biased question, but we are considering NOrte 8600's and 5520' vs Cisco 6500's and 3560's. Can anyone offer an opinon, on what they would do?

I don't know too much about the two, but I do know that Nortel is pretty limited to work with. Like if you need tech support from them, just talking to them on the phone is $200.00 an hour. And, they recently took all their documentation for setup and such off the web. Also, to use most of the info and stuff on their website, you have to have an account, which also costs an arm and a leg. But, I'm not an expert on either, really. Just know Nortel is quite limited to work with. Hope this helped a little! :)

Thanks Theresa, I'm not worried about support, I have a great BB and since I'm San Jose, Ca there is a Nortel EBC and Office very close to me. I've had fantasic support from Nortel and my BB.

As somebody who's worked with both Nortel and Cisco technical support I have to say that if anything Nortel is somewhat better than Cisco. Not far and away, but there's a difference. And it's only an hourly rate if you don't have a contract or you have a certain type of contract. My company's contract gives me the ability to call in anytime I want with no per-case or per-hour cost.

And I'd go back and look at the documentation - I haven't found that anything's been pulled down.

We've all had similar discussions around this topic before:

I'd second the comment that none of the prices above apply if you've got a support contract, which seems like a pre-requisite for having enterprise systems of this class.

My only other coment would be that the Cisco 6500 has a huge number of options and features - which is great in terms of flexability but I'd think it could make troubleshooting and upgrades something of a pain. I'm more of a 'keep it as simple as possible' kind of guy.

Some comments on TereasaPBX.
Nortel took the doc's and images away from the nortel site to avoid the grey market.
If you buy your products from an official reseller, you still are able to download images and documentation.

If you buy a support contract from the vendors, you wil see the difference in prices.

If you buy cisco, you will have more 'off the record' support using newsgroups etc.

Nortel recently change the reaction/resolution time for open cases. Thinks are changing for the better.

I've experience with both Cisco and Nortel,
I would advise you to use the Nortel solution simply because the excellent redundant SMLT solution.
Beside that, the Nortel hardware is much cheaper.

Not just SMLT but RSMLT as well

Routed Switched Multi-Linked Trunks

This feature alllows for redundant gateways w/o vrrp or other configuration requirements.

Think SMLT's but for gateways. The client's don't have a clue what's going on. The core switches keep up with it.

This is a one-click setup while adding SMLT's and it switches gateways so fast it wont drop a VoIP call.

I would say this a huge advantage over Cisco.

Check it out!

I agree with Neil, if you are looking at the redundancy features of Nortel's SMLT and Cisco's rapid Spanning tree, you will see that Nortel's setup is a greater advantage. Not to mention that in a SMLT/MLT, all links are used. Where as we all know in SPT, you lose one of the links.

As far as support goes, I hope anyone running with the 8600s or 6500's (Enterpirse Chassis's), has a support contract. If you are willing to spend that much money on a switch you atleast have a contract to boot as well. But my personal experience of the Tech support from both companies, Nortel has Cisco beat.

Personally, I look at Nortel as the advantage on the Switches. They have been developing the L3 switches alot longer than Cisco. Nortel, when it was Bay Networks, had purchased the technologies from Rapid City who built the first Accelar Switch. Rumor has it, it was proposed to Cisco, but they turned it down thinking who wants a L3 switch. It only routes IP. Bay Networks, took the box and developed it further. And in essence Nortel has had the avantage of a L3 switch. Look at the companies that have proposed IEEE Standards in L3 Switches, and you will see alot of the technologies are from Bay Networks. Food for thought.

Now if you were asking Routers... I would say Cisco. Cisco has always developed a better router.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back