Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Nortel VPN connection problem using Linksys WAG54GS 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulGC13

Technical User
Jan 29, 2006
GB
Replaced BT Business ADSL router with Linksys WAG54GS to use in home office for me and partner to access internet and Business network via Nortel VPN. Initially worked ok for several days, then VPN lost on both PC's simultaneously for no apparent reason, now when attempting to log on, get "banner text/lost vpn connection" problem. Internet access never an issue.If I reinstall BT router system works ok including VPN. Have tried reinstalling WAG54GS turning router firewall off and unchecking WAN unwanted internet blocking, however, still only get access to internet and VPN attempted log on still results in Banner Text/VPN connection lost message. Any suggestions would be really appreciated!!

First, just some basic stuff:

Did you powercycle linksys? Before next, go into linksys router management interface and then to (approx) Security > VPN and validate that the radio button for Enable IPSec is selected. If not, this is issue. Click button, then save below.
Assuming that's good, did you depress reset button (etc) to wipe the config and then reconfigure and try again ? Give it a try for that should work.

I would note that Bannertext with Nortel/linksys is 'usually' an issue with limitations on the NAT capabilities of the linksys router. The pre 2002 versions of linksys firmware were a lot more practically robust in this regard, but more recent versions will simply not allow consistent, seamless multiple connections to a single head end gateway (i.e. the destination your vpn client goes to. You should expect to be able to get 1 vpn connection working fine. More than 1 will be sporadic at best with the linksys. I recognize that won't sit well since you apparently had 2 simultaneous connections up at one time. You might check to see if there's more than one VPN gateway on the corporate network -- the linksys will handle multiple client tunnels to VPN gates at DIFFERENT IP addresses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back