Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Nortel VoIP gateway Installation 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

cheeses

Technical User
Oct 6, 2002
Looks good.
Installed one on network with BCM 3.0, 3.5 and Meridian M1 ITG.

Connected it to network and entered IP addresses of other gateways and destination digits. Connected lines to MICS and voila, it works. That is as far as I got last week.

Routing on MICS will be the usual. 8x24 will be line pool and "spoofing target" lines with Startalk auto attendant. Hopefully every thing will go as planned.

It appears to be an inexpensive (@CAN$2,000)way to get started on VoIP. I hope they last; we are buying more.

More posts on this as we progress.
Cheers.

unit is working great under heavy traffic. installed as overlines on busy office switch. good voice quality and dtmf passthrough for auto attendant.
easy to program,would not worry too much about nortel incompatible issues if only used for basic routing.

Hello,
We are looking into the possibility of using the Norstar VoIP Gateway also.
We have two offices both with MICS. One in Orlando and One in Miami. We do not have a WAN but have DSL & static IPs at both offices.
Would it be wise to use the gateway with DSL or do we need point to point/private WAN?
Do both MICS have to have a certain Flash version?
Would a rookie like me be able to configure it?

Any help or direction would be appreciated.

-Al

Installing the VoIP is pretty easy ..they have got pretty good instructions.

About using DSL - if you are cool with ''staticky calls" , then DSL using the public internet is the cheapest
when you chose the correct codec, per call infomration is as low as 10kbps, but the Internet is public, and nobody can guarantee anything about Quality of Service

We have used early version MICS with good results. I am fortunate that we have very short hops between our sites; max 3 hops between sites. Some tracert between your static IPs would be useful to see how it goes. Then it is buy them and give it a try. It easy easy to set up basic calls, routing and destination codes may give you some trouble.
Good luck

Does anyone have a PDF of the VOIP Installation. I am told I will have to do one in a week or two on a new MICS 6.1 w/ CP150.

Thanks in advance

sphoneman@aol.com

Steve
tele-dataservices.com

sphoneman,
Did you get the manual yet?
I didn't want to send if you already have.
Rob

Thanks to all that posted a reply to my question.
Your help and direction are appreciated.

I have 15 hops between my two offices. Probably not good for VoIP...Guess I need a private circuit.

Can Anyone point me to a copy of the manual for one of the Nortel units?

Thanks again.

Al

Idle question,
could you put a Plalin old telephone on the line port of the VOIP gateway for testing (maybe use?) was just wondering what you will see at the analog point of the circuit.

JerryReeve
Communications Systems Int'l
com-sys.com

Plain old telephone works just fine. You can actually use 4 POTs and ring each one seperately through gateway programming.

Sounds interesting, Just use two voip gateways (one on each end) and a DISA setup at the MICS end and you could get 4 analog telephone services out to an office without "needing" to have a KSU at the remote end. (very small office only). or am I mis-understanding this?

JerryReeve
Communications Systems Int'l
com-sys.com

Does anyone have a PDF of the VOIP Installation? I need to do one soon on MICS 6.1 w/ CP150....

Work In Progress

Joey D.
Bgredhskr@aol.com

jerryreeve;
It works with one POT for sure. If I get to load the gateway up with 4 I will let you know.

I'm looking into getting some of these devices but I can't find any good info on it. Does someone have a link? Also What I'd like to do is connect our main office with 3 of our remote locations. Can each device connect to more than one or would I need to have 3 in our main office and one in each remote location?

Mike
MReilly@vaiweb.com

Does anyone have a PDF of the VOIP Installation? If so could you send it my way or point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
Art

Jerryreeve,

Your question would be perfectly addressed with 'Free Ride'. Look at
I've not used this yet but the application looks exciting. No fixed IP required and it is comparable or cheaper to impliment than the Norstar VOIP gateway.... would also be Norstar compatable.

Cheers
PhM

ARR
In regards to qtelnet:
The main purpose of Norstar IP Gateways is interoperability with other Nortel gear like Succession, ITG, and BCM to Norstar.
If yo have no need for interoperability then Qtelnet or another vendor may be the way to go.

David Brillert

Helo everyone

I'm looking for a Startak Flash installation manual.

I have setup the voice mail properly and every aspect is working fine. What I am looking to to is to be able to use the AA to ask the person to press a key to be transfered to an outside line on my cell phone for example.

Anyone has a quick tutorial? or a manual....

Thanks

Rich

Hi, I am also looking for a Nortel VOIP Gateway manual as we are considering whether to use it or another product in an upcoming installation.

If anyone can point me to one or send me one it would be much appreciated.

Jeff
jeff@nightwatch.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back