Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Nortel Voicemail and Extension General Mailbox Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

OrganistRob320

Technical User
Jan 12, 2016
US
We are running Nortel Phone System MICS 5.0

We have added an extension that was once unused and have the following issue:

Whenever calling that extension from an outside line, the voice mail box that picks up is the General Delivery, not the assigned Mailbox.
For example: Our General Delivery is Mailbox 100, assigned to DN 221. I have created Mailbox 211 and assigned it to DN 211. When you call DN 211, you get mailbox 100. Any thoughts on why this is happening? Also, at DN 211, when you use Feature 981 to access voice mail, you get a log: screen. I have checked every mailbox number in the system for an Guest mailbox that was hidden.

If you're getting "Log:" on the screen from the set you say is 211 then there is no mailbox 211 created or that set is not X211.

Try F*0 and press the intercom button to see what extension that set is. If it is 211, then check voicemail to ensure the mailbox got created.

When you get the Log on the screen, try entering 211 plus the password for it and see if you can get into that way.

I've double checked and have verified that it is extension 211 through the intercom button. And when we enter at the log: 211, password then pound we get into the mailbox without any problems. The main issue is that when you dial that extension, you do not get its mailbox. I've been through just about every setting in both the phone programming and the voicemail programming and everything is set up as it is on every other extension which works just fine.

You haven't told us yet what voicemail system you're using so I will assume a call pilot. Are you sure you created a subscriber mailbox and not an information box?

If there are no licenses left, you're only choice would be information boxes.

If that's not the case, try deleting the box and recreating it.

If it is a subscriber box, did you initialize it?

Again, the problem is not with creating, initalizing, or even access the 211 mailbox. That works fine. The issue is that when I call extension 211, I do not get the voice mail for 211 but I get the general delivery box. None of our mailboxes are set up as information boxes.

When a message is left in any mailbox, we can transfer to 211, and then log in and listen to the voice mail from 211 (or any phone in the system). The issue is that when trying to leave a message by calling into to 211, we a different voicemail box (100 the General Delivery) after four rings. What would cause that to happen on only one extension? I've changed the DN of that extension multiple times and the problem persists.

Do you have any appear or appear and ring lines assigned on 211, and if so, are their extension numbers less than 211 ?

How many intercom buttons are assigned on 211 ?

Under Configuration, is DRT set for the VM ext for a control set ?

Again you have not mentioned which voice mail system (and version software) you have.

Have you tried rebooting this phantom voice mail system?
Is the system or the users mailbox mode in NVM or CP mode?

=----(((((((((()----=

small-logo-sig.png

Toronto Canada

Bet the call forward no answer for ext211 is set to none.....Set forward to 1st voicemail port and set # of rings and see if that helps...also go into mailbox 100 and see if 211 is an alternate Ext assigned to that box....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back