Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Nortel Vendors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hayniematt

IS-IT--Management
Aug 5, 2004
US
Currently we use NextiraOne for Nortel Support, but we would like to look at other vendors. Can anyone give me a list of reputable companies we can look at?

I'll tell you my advice..you'll never find a GREAT Vendor its a matter of finding the lesser of the evils..I also have Nextira for the next year..and WoW HORRIBLE.Unfortunately I inherited them otherwise they'd be out on their A**. Being a old techie..my advice to you is before you do anything. (because they will promise the world) call who ever you choose support center on a sunday at 11pm.Or a Saturday at at midnight.I havent found anyone to pass those two tests YET. Bottom line If your fluent with the Nortel try and sign a Cust support deal where no matter what the issue you can call someone to walk you through whatever the issue may be.

thanks army, some vendors do try..

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

One vendor we are considering is Netversant, has anyone had any experience with them?

Well Mr JohnPoole I know this.... If Verizon NYC had even just one of you. I'd Sign without a second thought

If you go to the Nortel's WEB site it can give you a list of Distibutors in your area. I use Shared and Nextira depending on the location and what the local people are familiar with. 1 suggestion is to try and have the vendor arrange a meeting so you can meet the tech for your account. If your not comfortable with your local tech you will never like the vendor. I could list problems with both of my vendors.

I've done work for netversant and they are not too bad. They are all going to provide you some level of support but you get what you pay for.

You can try:

Nextira One
Sprint
Pyramid Communications
Netversant
Signet6

What you want to look for is someone with a local presence. Some companies will sign a maint contract and then sub the work out locally. It is not in the best interest of the sub to provide you with immediate help, since they are not getting the monthly check. Create reasonable SLA (Service Level Agreements) and have whomever you go with, back them with monetary fines.

We used Shared Technologies for a little while, when I was working in Austin, but I knew their local techs. There were a couple times when they did not meet their SLA and they told us we did not have to pay that month's bill. Shared has a cool online ticket opening system that I really liked.

But think about what you realistically need. Do you need 24X7? Most people don't. Do you need business hour coverage? Most people go with this and then set SLA's for after hours. You have to pay Time and Material charges, but you have to look at how many times you needed help after hours over the past year.

Look at long term contracts (2+ years). You will save money here and see if you can still squeeze a loyalty package from Nortel and get a succession upgrade for free (minus hardware and labor).

And most of the techs here can give real good input on all vendors. some of it will be nice and some will be not so nice.

my opinions

John

thanks for the thumbs up, i know better then most, a lot of techs just don't know the product or care. my customers seem to like to see me show up, i've never seen one i couldn't fix, but i've only been a switchman for 30+ years

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

It depends on the tech more than the company, it only takes one bad one. I know in my area there are two of us and both have of us worked on Nortel strictly for over the last 25 years, we do not get these kinds of complaints. Tim Hooley, Nextiraone, Albany, New York

NextiraOne has been losing quite a few customers to Verizon Select Services here in NJ. Don't know if they are available in your area or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back