Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NORTEL SYTEM PHONES TRYING TO SET UP AS VOIP IS IT POSSIBLE?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SSGZIGGY

Programmer
Nov 29, 2005
US
i have a customer th wants the easy way to get into the voip world using esisting equipment cust. has mics 6.1 and t 7316e phones is it possible and how?

The product is called the Norstar VOIP gateway. This connects to the MICS with Analog trunk ports and also needs either a services cartridge or a combo card on the system for dtmf receivers

Goodluck
Rob

You can get many other brands of VoIP gateways far cheaper and better than the Nortel model. I had the Nortels and then returned them. We were trying to do something the boxes could not do...but no one could tell me that, and the documentation was useless. We ended up using Quintum gateways. About half the cost and a lot more in terms of features.

You could also steer them to a BCM for VOIP, its alot more stable than it used to be, plus the customer can use the same phones.

JohnThePhoneGuy

"If I can't fix it, it's not broke!

No, the solution is to use equipment from MCK - we use it here, and it works very, very well. It's like a VPN for the phone system across the Internet.

Very good stuff...

-Wayne

Be careful of MCK. The company has been bought out twice in the last 2 years. We lost a customer because we had many problems with it dropping and losing the connection. I used to love the product - and some worked great! Do some research on MCK's supporting on these products :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back