Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Nortel SCS Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

nateDiggsCSU

Programmer
Jan 7, 2005
US
Hi Everyone,

I'm dealing with some problems with a totally propritary Nortel SCS system. This system has been giving us fits ever since we took over from the previous support provider.

The SCS system will not update the device firmware for our Polycom Soundpoint 550 phones and we cannot figure out why. We have the firmware we want installed uploaded and active on the SCS system yet the phones are unable to connect to the server and download the new firmware. I think it's because there is a username and password for the FTP server on the phone system but I cannot find where that setting exists ANYWHWERE. Anybody out there have any idea?

One more question, for whatever reason the phones do NOT display the correct phone book. If you download the MACADDRESS.directory.xml file from the phone the correct information is in there, but if you go to the directory on the phones itself it displays MONTHS old information.

Any idea and or help on these two issues would be greatly appreciated.

Nate

FTP or TFTP server?
Sorry not familar with the SCS but most phones get configs via tftp not ftp.

If you need a tftp server the free solarwinds one is good.

Robert Wilensky:
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.

Actually, this is not a totally proprietary system, but one based on Open Standards. The Polycom's use TFTP to download the firmware to the phones. It uses Polycom's standard Username and password to grab the files also.

The issue that commonly happens is people open the ZIP file and try to add those to the SCS. Don't do that. UPload the zip file with the version you want to use, and it will do the rest for you.

What version are you trying to load onto the phones, and what version of SCS do you have. It will only support the versios it is set to support with the version of software the system is running.

Polycom releases software more often than sipFoundry does, and many times the Polycom versions have their own issues, so you don't want to run them. I recommend 3.1.3split for the Polycom 550 phones.

The Polycom's are downloading the directory information from the sipxecs system. You can import the directory to the system, I suspect that is what you are seeing. Check Features/Phonebook most likely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back