Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Nortel Router/Switch Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

mwesol

IS-IT--Management
Nov 16, 2000
US

I am upgrading to Gigabyte switches and replacing our Baystack 450-24t's with 5510-24-T's. I am also using a Linux Box as my core router. Boss wants me to look at adding a Hardware Router instead of the Linux Box. Would it make more sense to get a Passport 8600 and just add what I need for switching and routing? I would like to stick with Nortel for the router equipment rather than mix equipment like Cisco etc. Can I still do Layer 3? This is what the 5510's support but not sure about the passport.

Thanks for any and all help!

Mike

Ok the 5510 does routing internally but does not use a route protocol, just static routes (I am reading Nortel's ads) how many stacks of 5510s will you need? when you say 'core router' do you mean the internet choke router? (T1 to ethernet for example) if you have one or two stacks of 5510 I am not sure I see a need for a core router if your internet is broad band (cable or DSL) and you use a broad band router.

what is the size/layout of your network?

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

Passport 8610's are your best bet; switching and routing in the same box, like Cisco's 6500's. We have two of them and have had only one hardware failure in three years. They just run and run and run...

The GUI management, Device Manager, is the absolute best.

Haveagoodun!
Nettekkie1010

Hey Jim.. well here is the thing.

I will need 5 5510's. Mainly to give me GBIC Fiber ports.
I have a need for 5 fiber now and maybe 3 more in the future. I already have a router for the Internet, I am talking about routing for our main lan. We connect to other departments. We also have 3 main large remote sites which we route through the Linux Box. I need to do OSPF routing so other departments can connect to us.

Hope that helps

Thanks
Mike

I think the passport 8600 will serve you well, you may well leave the remote sites on linux if that is working. It should be able to keep up with 'remote' speeds

Thanks for the help guys. Now how do I convince my boss that going with the Passport is better than having a stand alone route solution from either Nortel, CISCO or other. I myself want NORTEL all in one solution but he wants me to check out other vendors as well.

Thanks
Mike

I'd second the recommendations for the Passport 8600 family; we've got a dozen and have had excellent performance and support. Depending on your needs the per-port cost might be a little high though, the list price on an 8600 starts at about $35,000 by the time you add CPU, power supply, and a few interfaces. I don't have experience with them but if your really price sensitive you might look at the 1424 or 1600 fixed-port L3 switches which have a list price closer to $5000.

Another vote for the 8600's. We have two and are getting ready to convert an 8100 to a 8600. For features and price, they cannot be beat. Like others have said, they are dependable and support has been very good.

We have 17 Passport 8600's and they work VERY well. The only issue, of course, is price.

8600's are targeted at medium to large scale enterprise...so not sure if you need something this hefty. They also have the 8003 and the 8005 versions that have 3 and 5 slots respectively...at least I believe they are still available. :p

Regardless, in regards to mixing vendors...do not be concerned. We have Nortel layer2 and layer3 switches and Cisco routers...no compatability issues. I would definately stay away from stand-alone Nortel routers.

another new layer three switch (hardware router) you may wish to look at is the Passport 1600 series it has 12 and 24 port fiber choices

I would stay FAR away from the 1624's until the next release of code. They are at 1.0 and, in my opinion, should NEVER have been released to the public for sale.

The current state that they are in is nothing more than beta...and even that is a stretch.

I heard the next release, which will be major, will basically make it just like an 8600 in terms of cli structure, etc. Not sure when that will be though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back