Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Nortel Phone Dead- Nothing on Display after recabling

Status
Not open for further replies.

nadirster

MIS
Jun 1, 2012
CA
Hello Guys, really need your help. We did some Wiring closet re-arranging and since then few of our m3903 phones have nothing on the display. When we dial the number at first there was a busy signal but after recreating the phones in Avaya Unified communication we get ringing tone but the phones are still dead on the reciever end. When we plug it directly into the patch panels in the wiring closet, nothing on the display as if the phone is not getting power.

if cable is good, maybe the pairs are reversed. might have to tone it out also....

The TN number is correct, the cable seems to be going into the right place into the wiring closet. We have the Phone > Patch panel > Nortel Phone Switch > wiring closet. I am not sure about Toning it out. How do you do that? which pairs are reversed you mean the cable in the Patch panel?

ok so it sounds like you moved phones around on the patch panel, so you might have to trace out the TN to the port / jack on the patch panel, then to the Jack of the phone that's not working.

if that sounds too confusing for you, that might require a telecom person with a toner to go to site and find it for you. but if you take your time, you might be able to trace it out.

Do you think it will work if we Take that port in the patch panel that goes to the phone on the other side of the wall, and cable it to another port that goes to the voice switch?

I have traced it. We have good numbering system and cables are labeled so it wasnt too hard to trace it but its still no go.

just bring the phone in and try it right on the patch panel port that goes to the voice switch.

When i plugged it directly, it
nadirster said:
When we plug it directly into the patch panels in the wiring closet, nothing on the display as if the phone is not getting power.

also, sometimes the phones disable in software, and you have to enable the TN

nadirster said:
When we plug it directly into the patch panels in the wiring closet, nothing on the display as if the phone is not getting power.

yep, I see you tried that .... didn't fully read it i guess. check the status of the TN

and if it's disabled, enable it on the PBX.

You mean in Meridian? I recreated the phone in Unfied Communication GUI. After that i was getting Ring tones. Before this all i kept getting was busy signal.

How do i Check the Status of the TN. Please Explain, using what tool?

Thanks triton for repplies, i am just a bit stressed out over this stupid phone system. I appreciate your help.

yes that would mean it was disabled.

you really have to look at the DLC card out, maybe the card is disabled, not sure. do you get any flash on the phone at all when you plug it in? try it in the same spot as a working one, to rule out the phone.

you would need to type this in a TTY after loggin in.

LD 20
ENLC xx x xx

LOOP SHELF Card (but not unit)

TN of the phone has the Info.

if you look in the cabinet, you might see a red light on the DLC card (NT8D02xx) that is a dead giveaway that the card is disabled.

If the card was disabled, wouldnt all the other phones that are on the same card stop working as well? because most of our phones are working fine, its just 4 out of 260 phones that are not working.

Most of us would probably use the CLI TTY interface. As stated above. Plug into the TN port at the woring frame. The wiring would be correct there as it wouldn't have been changed.

From the command line in LD 32, key in e.g. stat TN, which is the port number and not the DN number. You can find the port (TN) number either from the UCM or CLI via e.g.

LD 20
REQ: PRT
TYPE DNB
CUST 0
DN xxxx

Press return until you see the line of details.

In LD 32 (or even LD 20) key in e.g. STAT 004 0 01 14 (What ever the TN is?)
then if it states DSBL, you know it's disabled, or IDLE if it's free and not used.

I tend to always do DISU (TN) to fully disable it again, before I do ENLU (TN) to enable it again. Use STAT (TN) to confirm the port status. If it's IDLE, then try IDU (TN). If you get a few lines of data, then it's plugged in.

Finally, key in FSUM ALL. I've been caught out recently with M3905 problems and that was due to a firmware download mismatch. This command will tell you what the firmware levels are and you may need to update some of the phones. Use FSUM to list out what the Call Server has and it will also tell you how many sets need changing.

All the best

Firebird Scrambler
Meridian 1 / Succession and BCM / Norstar Programmer in the UK

If it's working, then leave it alone!.

Hi firebird, sorry about the late reply, i was able to find the TN number of the said line with the issue by running
DN 254
CPND
NAME Rodney, Kelly
XPLN 10
DISPLAY_FMT FIRST,LAST
TYPE SL1
TN 000 0 08 01 V KEY 00 H MARP DES 5098 13 APR 2012
(3903)
.Now my question is to see the status of the TN i run STAT (TN)right? Do i run it from the REQ prompt after typing LD 20? or do i have to do it from LD 32?

Thanks guys, this was helpful. Firebird, after you gave me the commands regarding Re-enabling the TN, I tried it and it worked, seemed like the TN was disabled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back