Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Nortel phone CCR tree may have been removed 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjustus

IS-IT--Management
Jan 10, 2008
US
Hello. We have Nortel phones running on a Norstar system. The phones are all model t7316. Recently, the V.P. of our company decided to log on to our CallPilot Manager and change our recorded greeting. The greeting has been modified but now we hear (what i think is the Auto-Attendant) a recorded greeting stating our company name which repeats twice, curious. An outside caller hears this message, and when they try to dial an existing extension the phone system informs them that the extension is not valid. At this time the system will play another recorded prompt that list available extensions. At this point if the caller again enters the extension they desire the phone system will connect them to that extension. Our problem is that we are no longer able RECORD or HEAR the portion of the initial prompt that we would like "sales support press 2, cust. service press 3" etc. I have tried to record the company greeting again, but the web based prompt won't dial any of our extensions to allow us to re-record. We have one CCR tree established, with a couple of mailboxes, and some info node? I am fairly certain that our V.P. altered the CCR tree properties (and may have attempted to add a mailbox back that he removed and added this info node as well). Please let me know what other information that you may need.

Confused!

2 greetings?
Maybe he recorder greeting #1 when he should have re-recorded Path 0 in the CCR?.

Or he recorded a greeting in the AA Menu Prompt:
AA
TABLE
AA Menu Prompt

You want to disable that and record a second of silence.

Very hard to tell as many ways to setup main greetings and where they are recorded.
Ypou also realy need to know where the VP went to do the dirty deed.

It sounds like the ccr tree is still enabled, but the greetings aren't recorded in the right places.

The playback order is:

Greeting # (1,2,3,whatever is assigned to that particular time.)
AA menu prompt
CCR Path 0

Check each of these, and make sure when they play back in this order, that it's what you want the customer to hear.

OK Justus, my 30 second Auto Attendant lesson. First, take a look at the "lines" setting for the line that you are interested in having the AA handle to see what greeting table is assigned to answer the line. Lets assume it is being answered by table 1. Next, look at table 1 parameters. By default, table 1 will have Company greetings number 1,2,3 and 4 assigned to the Morning, Afternoon, Evening and Non-business hours timeframes, respectively. The first greeting presented to the caller will be one of those greetings, depending on the time of day the call comes in. Then the caller will hear one of two things, either the Auto Attendant greeting (silicone Sally saying "using your dialpad, enter the extension number....yada, yada,yada") ---OR---, if you have configured a CCR tree and assigned it to the table, the caller will hear the Home ("0") menu for the CCR tree. If a CCR Tree is assigned, the Auto Attendant greeting is not used. So lets assume you have assigned CCR Tree 1 to Greeting Table 1, an incoming call at say 10:00AM will hear Company Greeting number 1, then the CCR tree 1 home ("0") menu. It could be that whoever set up the Auto Attendant didn't understand exactly how it worked and didn't record anything in Company greetings 1,2,3 and 4. If they recorded all the information the caller needed in the CCR Home menu it could have worked for years without anyone knowing or caring that it was not set up correctly. The caller would hear Company greeting 1 (nothing) then the CCR home menu, make their selection and all is well. There are a lot of systems out there with this kind of thing going on, some actually by design. Take a look at Company Greetings 1,2,3 and 4 to make sure something is recorded there if that is how you intend to use it. You said someone logged in to the Callpilot Manager to "help out" with some changes. That means we're talking about a Callpilot 100 or 150, or a BCM50. There is a known issue with the BCM50 Rls2 wherein the CCR home menu repeats itself by default (like to meet the brainiac that thought that was a good idea, lol). There is a patch available that gives a user a new prompt in the CCR configuration to select/deselect home menu repeat. As for not being able to dial a set for voice recordings, I would consider restarting (power cycle)the system if you have not done that yet. That may fix some of the other quarks you describe as well. A backup is always a good idea before you do that, especially if this is a good sized BCM with lots of stuff programmed on it. Hope this helps, good luck with it

Thank you all for your replies.

ctelguy,

I had considered power cycling the system. I wondered if you know a way to do this on a dedicated circuit. The norstar system that we have doesn't have a toggle switch or something of that nature. The power supply that it is plugged into has this capacity, but also acts as a power supply for our email server and other equipment (smart design ;( not mine). I was thinking that perhaps there was a text or web based application within the CallPilot (though there doesn't appear to be), or through some other method yet unknown to me. In order to reconfigure the CCR tree and Company greetings I will need to overcome the issue I'm having with dialing a handset, hence the power supply issue. Once I can deal with the dialing issue reprogramming the Greetings that were removed and configuring the CCR Tree should be a snap. Thank you for your advice.

He is telling you to reboot the call pilot.....this means unplug it from the power souce and plug it back in....nothing to do with what ever else is using the same power source.

You can also open the Call Pilot and unplug the power cord there also if you cant reach the other end.

You can access the messages thru a set, without Callpilot Manager. Try this, F983, 738662 then press OK, 266344 then press ok. If you get in, it's a BCM50. If not try F983, then 1020000, assuming you are 3 digit dialing plan (if 4 digit, then it's 10020000) and no one has changed the password. If you get in this time it's a Callpilot 100 or 150. You'll see the prompts for manipulating the greetings at that point. If you still don't get in, it's a BCM 200 or 400 (or older 1000). If thats the case you're out of luck until you get that interface going. In any case, to restart, follow the power cable from the phone system main box and/or Callpilot box to where it plugs into the wall or UPS. Unplug it. Wait a few seconds and plug it back in. All sets should be back up in about 5 minutes, voicemail will take up to about 10 minutes. See above recomendations on backing up, or let er rip, up to you.

Thank you curly and ctelguyI will try this and let you know what happens.

Thanks again for your help ctelguy. I am now able to call my extension again to record our greetings. I was wondering if you know what a "standard" configuration of the CCR Tree should be. Currently tree 1 has the a recorded greeting within "key" 0 / "home". "key" number 1 is labeled as a general delivery mailbox, and "key" 2 is labeled as a mailbox for our v.p. The v.p. told me that he may have deleted 2 of the "key" entries from CCR tree 1. I am wondering what these other 2 values may have been. I would like to understand how the CCR Tree(s) effect what a caller hears when they call in to our phone system and what the assigned mailboxes relevance to our phone system is. One other thing that I was wondering about is the CLID menu. Within the CLID setup for a given extension "Transfer To:" followed by the options: Greeting Table, Extension, Mailbox, and CCR Tree. What features of caller id does this setup menu effect? Thank you.

Do you have the Callpilot Manager working so that you can manipulate the system using the GUI at this point (including recording of prompts)?

Yes. I have successfully restarted/rebooted the CallPilot Interface, and am able to record prompts/greetings.

Up at 3 AM looking for a fix.....gotta admire that. OK let's give it a try. I suggest you create a new tree to try your new craft before you go live. Open Callpilot and select Custom Call Routing. You will see the tree in use, probably Tree 1, and several others that are not configured. Select one of those....let's say tree 3. As long as you don't tell the Auto Attendant to answer any of the lines with the tree, you can play with it to your heart's content without anyone knowing what you've built (or forgotten). When you check on "cofigure", the system asks you what you want to create first, and by default it assumes you need a home menu, which you do. Because you have planned it ahead of time, in the home menu you will create a recording giving your callers all the options,,,,ie; "press 1 to be transfered to the general delivery Mailbox, press 2 to be transfered to The vice presidents telephone, press 3 to be transfered to extension 235, press 4 to hear directions to our business". This is the greeting that the caller will hear after they hear the company greeting per the programming in the greeting table (see previous post). As soon as you click "create" you will see your new tree, with an option to change your home menu, click change to record your home menu prompt. Now click on "mailbox" and the system will create option 1 as a transfer directly to a mailbox. By default it will be a transfer to General delivery mailbox, but you can change it later to another mailbox if you want.Then click "transfer" and the system creates another node, node 2, as a transfer option. Click transfer again and the system creates node 3 as a transfer option,click "info" and the system creates a new node 4 as a info option. Create all your options, per your plan, then go back and change your transfer points to go to the extension you want. if you create any info nodes, you'll need to go to those nodes and record the information you want your callers to hear if they select that info node. They're a little different than transfer nodes because you have to tell the system what to do with the caller after they hear the information.....you'll see it and understand what I'm saying. Once you build the tree, you'll have to attach it to a greeting table to try it. Go to greeting Tables in CP Manager, select "change" on the table you have assigned to answer your line, then plug in the number of the CCR Tree you have built in the time table(s). (Make sure you remember what table you are currently using here, in case your new table doesn't work like you want it to, you can change it back real quick before any body knows you goofed) The moment of truth....call in on one of the lines you have the greeting table assigned to......select "2" and leave a message for the VP telling him you're expecting a BIG FAT RAISE for all the grief he caused you. Good luck.

man i have to say you guys really gave some super long detailed answers i beleive there the longest that I've ever seen on here but that's a good thing it just feels good to help some1 that needs it from time 2 time...keep up the good work guys.

No simple answer for CCR tree stuff.....surprising how many people have worked on these things for years and don't have a clue about the "big picture" on Auto Attendant, for the new guys it can be overwhelming....should have made it a FAQ and posted maybe....anyway, hope he gets it going, might make him a hero to his boss that hosed it up.

Well bring up the band! I have this system figured out now. I was able to program a tree and implement it on a schedule that works for us. I go a little tripped up, because I kept hearing the after hours greeting during all hours of the day. Then realized I had to set our business status to "yes". Question: is there any way within the CallPilot or handset to have the business status change automatically at business days end? Thanks again for all your help ctelguy. Hopefully we'll have no further issues with this System.

Sure you have to set up your times in your greeting table. You should have 4: morning, afternoon, evening and non-business. Setup the morning start time to the time you open and set the non-business start time to the time you close on any particular day. If greeting 1 is your daytime greeting, set that for morning, afternoon and evening and if greeting 2 is your after hours set that to your non-business greeting.

What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger.

Glad you got it going justus. Regarding the schedule....important to understand that the non-business hours time overides other settings. Sounds like you already learned that the hard way. So it's important to make sure that you have configured it to take into account the weekends. Look at your Saturday and Sunday times and make sure your customers aren't getting your business open greeting(s) when you're sitting at home drinking beer and watching football. And of course remember if you use F982 to "force" the system to "business open/...no" callers will get the non-business hours greeting until you change it back. Take care.

all is well in the land of nod. i have got everything configured the way it should be. i guess its time for that beer and a raise, huh!?

thanks again for all your help. cheers!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back