Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Nortel PBX & Avaya's UM...do they play nice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SysGo

IS-IT--Management
Jul 24, 2003
US
We are considering replacing our legacy phone system with a Nortel PBX combined with the Avaya Unified Messenger product for voicemail/unified messaging. Does anyone have any experience with this config? The good, the bad? Do we loose features on the TUI-PBX side because we are not using CallPilot? I'm concerned about name recognition, forwarding by name, directory listings, etc. Thanks!

thare are a bunch of companies doing this, works good.
you wont notice any drastic diff. in features, still get name dialing, directory, auto att. they use analog lines for conectivity, good, reliable, and user friendly,
the only prob. i c is that they are 2 diff vendors. usually; if you had one manafaturer, for both products, it would prob. serve you more efficntly.

We have been using the Avaya UM with a Nortel Meridian Option 11C for about a year now. With using products from two different vendors, when there are problems, the fingers start pointing and we have experienced that big time. When the UM is working, it is a great product, especially how it integrates with MS Exchange. But, as with any windows based product, after about a month we have to reboot the server the UM application resides. We also have some issues with the Brooktrout cards we are using (I believe they are tr114??) in the UM server where when we reboot, we have to unplug all ports from the pbx (24 of them). After the UM services start up then we can plug in the lines again (these are analog btw). And if you are using Win98 workstations with the UM client software, be careful to set the DCOM registry setting properly or else you will hang the entire server. It took us about a month to figure this one out. Other than these issues, I think this is a great product and find it integrates well with our PBX.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back