Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Nortel Passport 8600 and VLSM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 27, 2005
US
I currently have a Nortel 8603 that I'm trying to set up routing on. I need to use a 30 bit mask of one network and then break the network up behind this 8603 using what Cisco call Variable Length Subnet Mask (VLSM) with a 28 bit subnet mask. In this particular implementation we are using a class C public address and static routing having issues with setting up static routes all default to x.x.x.0 network instead of x.x.x.4 network for the first network being used. For instance network-A is using 192.168.1 255.255.255.252 leaving 192.168.1.4 as the next network but when I try to enter the static route for the 4 network it defaults to the 0 network instead of 4. I have this running on some 8610's running the same OS version but and are working fine but we are using routing protocol of OSPF in that implementation and the Variable Length is a supernet not a subnet.

it should work for static route as well. at least in our 8610 chassis. what version of code are you using?

Version 3.7.0.11

I think I may have found the issue to be with the IP subnet itself I think the tech that was working it messed up on his ip subneting and the issue lies in that and not the switch. We are checking subnets now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back