Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Nortel Passport 2430 Password Reset 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dino1234

MIS
May 17, 2003
AU
Hi All,

I'm new with Notrel. I having problem to gain access to our Notrel 2430 Router. My Previous network admin had left us without left his Manager password to our router. It was no problem until recently when I need to add a second serial module and configure it as our backup line. Is there any way I can reset his password ?

I tried to call Nortel and I always end up with waiting on the Help Desk or transfering from one phone to another phone.

I hope I can get some answers from the expert here.

Any help will be very appreciate.

Regards,
Dino

What you first need to do is call Nortel back and get them to email you a file called pp2430_no_pswd.exe, then follow the steps below. This is an excerpt from some documentation that I wrote.

Note: You must have local console port connectivity to the router.

Note: For the following steps, you must know the read/write community string.

Note: You must have Nortel Site Manager software loaded on your PC for this operation This is necessary because Site Manager does not need the password to connect to the router…only the read/write community string).

1.)Using Router Files Manager (This is a component of Site Manager), “TFTP-copy” pp2430_no_pswd.exe to the router.
2.)Using Nortel Site Manager, set a scheduled boot (to reboot at whatever time you wish) to reboot the router with pp2430_no_pswd.exe as the image, and ti_pp2430.cfg as the config.
3.)From the router console (settings=9600/8/none/1), you will see the following when the router reboots:

REBOOTING SYSTEM
Found image '1:pp2430_no_pswd.exe'...booting
Image is in compressed format...decompressing
'krnl_lite.ppc' loaded, jumping to: 0x00071000
Getting config file 1:ti_pp2430.cfg from local file system
Initializing MIB with configuration file information
Nortel Networks and its Licensors.
Copyright 1992-2000. All Rights Reserved.

Password removal image loaded.

WARNING: You are about to change the Manager password on all slots.
Do you wish to continue? (y/n) [y]:

4.)Press Enter and you will see:

Changing password for Manager
New Manager Password:

5.)Type the new password for the router and press Enter. It will prompt you to retype the New Manager Password. After you retype it, you will see:

Manager password changed.
****** Press any key when ready to reboot the system ******

6.)Press any key. When the system reboots, the password will have been changed.

If you do NOT know the read/write community strings then you are screwed. You will HAVE to work it through with Nortel, get a factory default flash card RMA'd to you, boot the router on that, then do the steps listed above...

Hi,

I need pp2430_no_pswd.exe file. I don't have service contract, so there is no possibilities to receive this file directly from Nortel. Does anyone have this file? Please let me know, and if it is possible send it to me office@archer.krakow.pl.

Thanks,
Brat

Brat...do you have a local Nortel engineer that you work with? They may be able to get the file for you.

Either that or purchase a support contract. I, as well as others, I am sure, have the file, but we also pay tens of thousands of dollars for support contracts.

I don't mean to sound crass, but ya gotta pay to play...

Hi,

We are using quite old hardware here. We also don't have support contract, is is quite expensive for us, and we can't afford to buy one.

I know all other AN/ARN/ASN/BLN pass recovery procedures but I don't know one for 2430 and other passport routers.

But maybe in future, who knows. ;)

Brat

Actually, support contract maintenance is a percentage of list price, so it is the same for everyone. We pay about $78 every 3 months for a PP2430 router for 24x7x4 support.

If you choose NBD or 12x5x4, it is even cheaper.

I would not consider that expensive.

Hi, Jynxx

Maybe it is easy to order support contract in US or Canada, but it is really hard to prepare in Poland.
Anyway $78 per 3 months is not bad price, I will try to get some more informations from international Nortel Support.

Thanks,
Brat

Did anyone manage to get a copy of pp2430_no_pswd.exe ?

Regards
Yagi.

OK I finally got a copy of the password reset utility...

But my 2430 does not have an IP address I can access.

There is also a utility that enables me to put the flash
card into a PC !!

Does anyone know that utility ??????

sigh...

regards
Yagi.
tembyw@hotmail.com

If you have the password utility you can now access the router and look at your flash for a file called inst_pp2430.bat This is a small batch file that allows you to put a basic config (such as an IP on an Ethernet port) on the router after which you can use Site Manager to finish the config.

If your flash is blank you need the utility you referred to (or another working router), which is called BNFS95. Bear in mind...this is not a Nortel supported utility. It was written by a third party and seems very dependent on the type of laptop you use, the operating system you use, and the type of flash card.

I've used it successfully in the past with W95 and W98 operating systems on Toshiba laptops, but have never tried it with W2k or XP systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back