Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Nortel Option11c expansion cab.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cronrun

Vendor
Oct 31, 2002
US
I would like to extend an Option 11c Expansion cab. across campus. About a mile. I have an NTDK85AA Dual Port DB and a NTDK25BB Rec. card. These are multimode fiber cards. The customer installed Single mode in the middle.... I need a box that can convert this multi-mode to single mode. What is the speed out of the NTDK85 card. Is it 10/100/1000 Mbps or just a signal.

I don't know if there is a third party converter box available. Anyway the nortel recomandations are very tough concerning loss problems on these fiber connections.

I know there are monomode/single mode daughterboards and receivers available that would suite your needs.

A real alternative is to use fiber network cards (100bF) to extend expansion shelf on a long distance. But to relise this you have to have a dedicated fiber between the two endpoints or a fiber enabled switching equippment.

I do have a dedicated fiber strand from Main Option 11 Cab to Expansion Cab. The customer just put a single mode fiber in the middle. It leaves Multi-mode from the Main Cab. but out about 200ft or so it stops on the Multi-mode and needs to connect to Single mode. Single mode goes to the location of the Expandsion cab. So then I would need to convert back to Multi-mode to connect to the Expan. Daughter board. There are media converter boxes out there but I don't know the speed the NTDK85 DB puts out...

I thought if I changed the DB's out with IP- either 100BaseT or 100BaseF that I needed SCC controllers at each of the receiving location(expansion cabinets)

we did a job with opt 11 cab's and used glass to remote 6 cab's over a distance of half a mile, but we used ip remotes, a supported nortel config.. maybe take a look at that option

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

I found the Fiber converter box I needed from IMC Networks. It works great. I am using the NTDK85AA Dual Port DB and a NTDK25BB Rec. card. These are multimode cards. This is where the customer put single mode fiber in the middle and to the expansion cab. I can still use the nortel daughter boards and not have to use the 100baseF DBs.

Susan Stanley
Technical Support Analyst
IMC Networks - The Optical Ethernet Company ==========================================
19772 Pauling Phone 949-465-3000
Foothill Ranch Direct 949-465-3155
CA 92610 Fax 949-465-3020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back