Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Nortel Option 11 Us Robotic Modem

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbxkeyguy

Vendor
Jun 21, 2007
US
Have a problem trying to set up US Robotic Modem
14,400 36k 96k 56k is there a different dialing string for each modem ???
spent way to much time trying to connect to Option 11 c mini
PBX setting on back 1 4 78 down 1 & 4 down 1 4 7 down
1 4 8 down all dont work
at&b1&w&w1
also tried
at&f
at&h0
at&d3
at&s0=1
ats2=128
at&q1
at&w

nothing works
any help out there ?
Thanks Jimmy

old post...............

Try this:

Modem Configuration Example: US Robotics Sportster Fax modem 56K

This example refers to US Robotics Product ID 00568603. Read and follow the steps in the technical reference for the modem that you are installing.

The modem must be configured to:
• end Data hardware flow control only
• ignore Request To Send (RTS)

For normal operation of the modem that is connected to COM1 on the Signaling Server, the modem DIP switch settings are ALL UP (OFF) except for DIP switch 1 and 4 DOWN (ON).

DIP switch settings

DIP Switch 1 Down (ON) Modem ignores Data Terminal Ready
DIP Switch 2 Up (OFF) Modem displays verbal result codes
DIP Switch 3 Up (OFF) Modem suppresses display of result codes
DIP Switch 4 Down (ON) Modem suppresses display of result codes
DIP Switch 5 Up (OFF) Modem answers if S0=1 or greater
DIP Switch 6 Up (OFF) Modem sends Carrier Detect signal on serial port when carrier is present
DIP Switch 7 Up (OFF) Modem loads the previously modified and stored NVRAM configuration profile (Y0 or Y1), or the readonly factory configuration profile (Y2, Y3, or Y4)selected by the Y parameter. You must use the modem AT command AT Y0 to select NVRAM stored configuration profile 0 which has been configured to enable Send Data hardware flow control only.
DIP Switch 8 Up (OFF) Modem ignores AT commands (Dumb Mode)

DIP switch settings are read and applied when:
• The modem is powered on.
• The modem is reset by using the ATZn command.

AT Command Set
To temporarily use the AT command set on the modem that connects to Signaling Server’s COM1 port, you must:
1 Connect a terminal directly to the modem.
2 Set DIP switch 8 DOWN (ON).
3 Power the modem OFF/ON.
The modem then responds to the AT command set; however, type carefully because the modem still suppresses local echo of AT commands entered from the terminal and also suppresses display of result code OK. DIP switches 3 and 4 can be adjusted, but typing carefully will work.

Using the AT command set
1 Type AT Z4 and press Enter to reset default S registers and load factory configuration profile 1 which is the hardware flow control template. Factory profile 1 enables hardware flow control for both Send Data and
Receive Data. Note: You must disable Receive Data hardware flow control to operate the modem on the Signaling Server COM port.
2 Type AT &R1 and press Enter to configure the modem to ignore Request To Send (RTS). This disables Receive Data hardware flow control and allows you to log into the Signaling Server COM port.

3 Type AT &W0 and press Enter to store the modified hardware flow control configuration in NVRAM stored profile 0.

4 Type AT Y0 and press Enter to set Y0. If DIP switch 7 is UP (OFF) upon resetting, the modem loads NVRAM stored configuration profile 0 which enables Send Data hardware flow control only.

5 Type ATZ and press Enter to reset the modem and load the Y0 Send Data hardware flow control configuration according to DIP switch 7 UP (OFF).

6 Type AT I4 and press Enter to display the current modem configuration and verify the settings Y0, H1, and R1.

If the settings are not correct, repeat step 1 through step 6. Read and follow the technical reference for the modem you are installing to configure it for Send Data hardware flow control only.

Mato' Was'aka

The modem could be bad too :)

[©] GHTROUT.com [⇔] Resources for Nortel Meridian/CS1000 System Administrators - You Can Hire Me Too

1. There are (8) dip switches on the rear of the modem. Set switches S1, S3, S7, & S8 in the down position, the rest in the up position.

2. Connect the modem to a terminal or personal computer using a 25 pin RS232 cable.

3. Set the terminal or personal computer serial port to 9,600 baud (8 data bits / no parity / 1 stop bit ).

4. Turn the power ON to the modem.

5. Using the terminal or the terminal portion of the personal computer communications package, issue the following AT command. AT&B1&W&W1

6. Turn the power OFF to the modem, and disconnect it from the terminal or personal computer.

7. Set the (8) dip switches on the rear of the modem as follows. Set switches S1, & S4 in the down
position the rest in the up position.

8. Connect the modem to the Meridian 1 system as instructed in the NTPs

this is one i read hear and have tested with an 11 as well as an 81.. remember, if your term works on the port without a nul, then you would need a nul to connect the modem..

you term/pc is dte, a modem is dce.. remember the c is the clock source for that session..

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

settings for us robotics modems on NORTEL PBX
start with the modem off: switches 1,3,7,8 down power on
AT&F0 (cr)
AT&B1&W0&W1 (cr) power off modem
switches 1&4 down all the rest up
power up modem

no problems only solutions

strmwalker

I must be lucky...I've used 147 down for the past 10 years atleast and never had a problem. No program required.

I have 147 down and that's been that way since 2000.....no problems and no program required....just like Jeffnortel

Thanks to everyone who contributed already, any help on my issue?

The US Robotics Sportster died this summer apparently so I bought a new one and have tried several of the methods here to get the new one to communicate properly.

No luck so far and I assume it's a baud rate issue since when I get dialed in and type, it echos back strange characters like square root sign and other garbage.

Here's what I have tried: Set my serial port to 1200-N-8-1 (pbx has the 1200 dip switch flipped), modem off with switches 1-3-7-8 down, connect and issue AT&F0 (cr)
AT&B1&W0&W1 (cr) to which it responds OK, then powered off and connected back to the pbx with switches 1-4 down only and I get the garbage back when I connect/type.

Anything I'm doing wrong? Anyway from the local terminal to tell exactly what baud rate it's running at?

I'm not sure it isn't what you're dialing in "from".

Do you have a PC with a USR Sportster you can test from?

[©] GHTROUT.com [⇔] Resources for Nortel Meridian/CS1000 System Administrators - You Can Hire Me Too

I've tested from both my laptop which I've had for 4 months or so and used many times before and another laptop which I've used before as well.

The first test I would want to try is connecting your laptop or a dumb terminal right to the cable out of the PBX, then add the modem once you are sure it works.

That's what I was thinking about doing tomorrow if I can find the pinouts and make a cable up. I don't have what I need right now but can solder up anything needed.

Nothing to solder. It's all standard RS232

I often can not connect to a USRobotics modem from my laptop internal modem correctly because it will autobuad to the wrong speed. I solve this by one of 2 methods

1 - I dial out from a external USRobotics modem - this modem will connect at whatever speed I select from procom or reflections

2 - if I have access to local modem will add one of the following to command string - AT&N6 for 9600 or AT&N3 for 2400 - this will make the modem connect only at these speeds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back