Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Nortel Norstar Users receiving random calls after hours

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 1, 2008
US
I have a Nortel Norstar system. Users have been complaining that in the middle of the night, they are receiving random calls from the facility. I originally thought that someone was pranking these users. It turns out, that the "system" seems to be dialing recent calls. No other employees have the numbers, that are being called, which is why pranking is out of the question. i.e. The directors baby sitter is being called, a number that noone else would have.

I made sure that all of the phones in the building (100+) do not have any stuck buttons.
I thought perhaps the cleaning company (one person) could have been bumping buttons when cleaning the desks. Turns out they dont clean the desks, or offices. They just empty trash...go figure
I replaced each phone at two of the 15 people reporting this issue. These two people receive approx 22 calls per night. This happens from 2-3AM in the morning.

I had our local tech/programmer to come out to the site to verify there is not a programming issue. This started two days after I had a DID setup. He verified that it should not be an issue.

Could there be anything on the system that shows a log? Is there any way, that this system could have a bug, taht would cause recent calls to be dialed?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

-Steve

If you have a SMDR on your system check the reports from it to see which extension is making the calls. If you don't have you might want to consider having one installed ASAP. Just as a test remove any last number redial buttons from each suspect set and any autodials ptogrammed for the numbers being called. You could also just try rebooting the system.

I will try restarting the system tomorrow, and turn off the recent call button. I should be able to figure out how to do that.

exmogger - I am unsure what voicemail notification light would have to do with this. Perhaps I am mis-understanding you. The users are at their house, when the system calls. It seems to be calling users, to numbers that were dialed during the day. i.e. Non public numbers.

If this feature has been activated, message notification calls a programmed external number when a message is received. This can be a home number, cell number or pager. I can't think of anything else that would be dialing external numbers from the phone system. The suggestion to use SMDR would indicate the DN numbers making the calls.

Brian Cox
Oregon Phone

Hi Steve,

I don't think I can help much except to say, that I had exactly the same thing happen at one customer. Your explanation of the trouble is the same. After the initial disbelief, I checked for stuck buttons and the like and found nothing. This was about 5 years ago now. As I recall I reset the phone system and I never went back for that problem but I was not the only tech to support this customer.

Rob

Issue has been resolved. One of the station mods was bad. All of the problems were traced back to a specific area of the building, where all phones were attached to a specific station mod. Replaced the station mod, and have experience no issues since. Thanks to all for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back