Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Nortel MICS Coldstarting on its own 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

varrius

Technical User
Sep 27, 2006
US
I have a MICS 7.1 KSU (9 incoming lines/20 sets/trunk/caller ID) that seems to be resetting itself. I have had it happen three times, always just after 8am. I have it on a newer UPS so I do not think power is the issue, though it will lose settings if disconnected from power. It loses system date/time and the handset programming (goes into a coldstart). I can reprogram it from that point but if it lost any lower level settings I may have a problem. I do have a FastRAD at my disposal and can backup the system.

I am hoping for some guidance from those more experienced. Could it be just a super capacitor, nvram or should I look at replacing the base KSU? I can replace the capacitor(s) if I know which one(s) or buy the necessary parts.

Thanks for any help.

I would start with the NVRAM module, get a new one. do a backup first.

The KSU has a replaceable power supply on the left side, one screw....it might be something to look at too.

The caps only retain programming.

You need to go into Alarms and note what they are, they may tell a story.

=----(((((((((()----=

small-logo-sig.png

Toronto Canada

Thanks for the leads. Looking in the Sys test log I have 5 entries:
System startup
System coldstart
evt 901-55770000
evt 285
evt 378-02

It looks like evt 285 is: an address error occurred - according to the mics manual that can cause a restart.

Would that be an address in nvram?

If you have only had to re-program it once then you may have just cleared the corruption.
Do a backup and wait and see.

-Do you have expansion cards in the KSU?
-if so what type (2, 6 or Combo) and are they in use?

-if the system looses programming for sure on every power down then you have a bad memory cap in the KSU

Almost sounds like corruption (resetting) and a bad cap (memory)

=----(((((((((()----=

small-logo-sig.png

Toronto Canada

...as for the NVRAM what Rls is it?

=----(((((((((()----=

small-logo-sig.png

Toronto Canada

It has happened 3 times in the last month. I ran a successful backup using a FastRAD yesterday. It is Rls 7.0 (30DEC04).
It has 2 NT7B75AAAG GATC2/CLID trunk cards, NTBB20FB 12x0 Trunk module with a NT7B75AAAG Card as well.
It does lose programming on power loss at least to the point I have to reprogram the handsets. I placed a higher capacity UPS on it to get by.

..as for the NVRAM what Rls is it? "

=----(((((((((()----=

small-logo-sig.png

Toronto Canada

That looks like Rls 2 and also new.

I would replace the KSU (or solder a new cap) and test.

Its a tough one.

=----(((((((((()----=

small-logo-sig.png

Toronto Canada

Thank you. So now a couple of questions from my ignorance. Either way will a FastRad backup be enough to completely restore (this system doesn't appear to have any documentation, darn it)? Does anyone have a schematic or image showing which Cap I need to replace and a part number?

Yes RAD will backup all.

Click here for capacitor info

=----(((((((((()----=

small-logo-sig.png

Toronto Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back