Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Nortel Meridian Wiring Closet Specifications

Status
Not open for further replies.

AmpCableGuy

IS-IT--Management
Aug 10, 2006
CA
Hello! I have a client that will be installing a Nortel Meridian Telephone system in a new office location, and has asked me to cable to site for both data and voice. I have never done any voice cabling before, but I know that they will probably be going VOIP in the future, so both data and voice drops will be cat5E. That having been said, what do I install in the wiring closet for the phone system? I contacted Nortel, and, after going through pre and post sales help in addition to talking to an 'engineer' of sorts, was informed that they do not tell people that sort of information. Apparently the company that sold the phone to my client is responsible for that. Unfortunately, it's the local telco, and they won't provide that information either.

So: What do I need in the wiring closet over and above the equipment that the network runs on?

Where can I find any level of documentation for this kind of install?

Does anyone have any suggestions regarding tutorials and the like?

Please let me know.

AmpCableGuy

The house cabling is usually terminated to a 110 or older 66 blocks. Since you believe they are going to use VOIP in the future then they should be terminated to a patch panel, then the nortel system can hang their own blocks and run jumpers to your end.

might get better help in general telephony forum, all voice switches use the same specs.. you can install tdm i/o cables on patch panels if your customer has the space and money.. but the pri trunk side are not built for that interface.. if you do the type of card in the slot can determine the needed output wireing..

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

when you go voip the phone will plug in to you network and the computer into your phone so phone side doesn't have to be cat5

If you are using Cat5e. Analogues run on the blue pair and digital phones run on the orange pair. I hope that helps.

You need to look at a couple of items.

1. First and foremost look at the fire protection. Is there going to be a sprinkler head over the equipment. If so, then have it moved

2. Make sure you have all dedicated circuits for each power outlet. You do not want to have all the power outlets on one circuit.

3. Make sure you have adequate power running to the room for the telco equipment.

4. HVAC requirements are also key. Check the BTU outputs from all the equipment and make sure that your cooling system will work.

5. 3/4" CDX plywood installed on one wall, if you are going to use wall mount blocks. Have it painted and then mounted on the wall, at least 18 inches off the ground.

6. Anti-static tile, if tile flooring is going to be used. Under no circumstances should you use carpet in the room.

Check the nortel planning and engineering NTP and it will give you specs on equipment dimensions and wall block configurations.

Hope this helps.

John

AmpCableGuy, if your client is going VoIP then the cabling is either Cat5e or Cat 6 throughout. Its that simple, if they are using any TDM type phones/faxs then, as Foleys states, use the pairs as specified but the customer will have to use Master/Secondary Taps to plug their phones into then into the RJ45 socket.

Something else not mentioned but extremely important is good grounding.

Steve Harmon
Greenfield, Indiana

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back