Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Nortel Meridian PBX Won't allow more than 2 people on same line

Status
Not open for further replies.

NortelDCDave

Technical User
Jan 2, 2015
US
I have an issue with my folks home telephone system. Some technician put in a Nortel PBX for their house (a bit much for home phone system but it is what it is and since it is in and functional, I am working with it).

The issue is that when a call comes in and 2 people pick up it is fine, but when a third person tries to join the call, the system beeps, the phone that attempted to join is prevented from entering the call, and it displays:

224: Line in use​

Any idea how we can allow more than 2 people on a call at the same time?

Much appreciated,
Dave

That's not a PBX, its a Nortel Norstar system which is a Key system.
They come in the flavors: LinesXSets (3X8, 6X16, 4/8X16/24(CICS), 8X24, 0X32(MICS))

You would need to go into Line programming and turn Auto Privacy to N (no).

If you dont want people to barge in on a daily basis then instead conference the call as needed.
Depends on the privacy needed on a daily basis.
While on the call press Feature 3 and dial the Intercom number of the party in the house.

=----(((((((((()----=

small-logo-sig.png

Toronto Canada

Thank you Curlycord, I will check the auto privacy settings and set to allow.
Much appreciated.
Dave

The Norstar can only allow 3 party conference ie 1 outside 2 inside. Even if auto-privacy is disabled it is still 3 people max.

Marv ccna
telemarvlogosmall.gif

Sales, Installation & Service for Norstar, BCM, Samsung & Allworx Serving Ottawa and Eastern Ontario since 1990

That sounds like a poor design choice to me...even at a small office I can easily see where more than 2 people would want/need to be on a call.

Thanks Marv

Given that people are too lazy to walk to the office next door I suppose.

Board rooms and conference units are what business will use.
For more than one business they use conferencing companies.

Keep in mind also that Norstar is old technology and was replaced with BCM which has better conference capabilities such as all new systems these days.

=----(((((((((()----=

small-logo-sig.png

Toronto Canada

I have to agree with curlycord that this is old (we are talking 80's) technology and you would not expect a car from 1985 to have GPS and heated seats.... and all the other good features everybody wants these days. So this is nothing different, old stuff has old features as much as it bites if you want newer ones.
I have an Avaya IP Office in my house and it was much less $$$ than a Norstar was those days so I am sure you can get a better Nortel system for decent money. I think that the old BCM 50's are a dime a dozen by now.

Joe W.

FHandw, ACSS (SME), ACIS (SME)

"This is the end of the world, make sure to buy your T-shirt before it is too late"
Original expression of my daughter

Thanks guys, I appreciate your answers and time.
Happy New Year!

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back