Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Nortel M8X24 Digital Noise during call

Status
Not open for further replies.

slatecom

Technical User
May 9, 2011
US
Hello,

I'm having a problem with my Nortel M8x24 system. The intercom and all features seem to be working perfectly, but there seems to be frequent noise similar to what you'd hear on a Norstar if you turned up the volume on an empty line port, sort of like a heavily compressed audio clip. What could possibly cause this? I've previously been using a 6x16 and it did not have this issue, but ever since I moved to the M8x24 the audio quality has definitely took a step back. I'm using a patch panel instead of a 66 block and I have run the 25 pair cable up a telco rack near many power cables. I have also started using M7100 phones so I don't know if the audio circuitry differs significantly from the T7208. Could this be causing the problem or is there something wrong with the system itself?

Thanks!

Start by making sure everything is grounded correctly.

The cables could be going over light fixtures in that area too.
But the 8x24 is an old system and if the old 6x16 wasen't doing it I would point the problem at the 8x24.

QUOTE- I'm using a patch panel instead of a 66 block and I have run the 25 pair cable up a telco rack near many power cables.

You might not want to run your telco cables next to power at any time. That's just poor practice.

Jeremy J. Carter
Charm City Communications
Norstar. BCM. CS1000 Programmer

Yeah, I'll change it and have the power running up one side and ethernet/telephone up the other. I'm thinking it might be inducing some noise onto the line, degrading the quality.

I'll have a look at all the wiring and see if one of the wires has come loose.

Thanks all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back