Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Nortel M5316 Line Cord Question... 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

KMCGRATH

Technical User
Mar 18, 2004
US
...I know it is not a Meridian switch, but rather centrex service, but just need some quick assistance. We recently purchased 60 sets for one of our field offices and the seven-foot line cords are not long enough for our needs. We are going to purchase longer cords, but I need to know if the RJ clips on the ends need to be reversed (like with M2000 series digital Meridian phones) or straight thru like with analog devices such as fax machines. Also, does anyone know a vendor who sells these longer cords that would work with the M5316 sets? Finally, are one-pair cords sufficient? I don't know since I have not seen the existing line cords in our field office. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

the older sets that had wall warts for display power had to have 4 conductors.. the 2616 base cords will work on centrex sets.. when i worked for sprint we installed both, and usually made ours.. they are reversed at the plug which keeps them from turning over.. if the white is on the right on one end it's on the left on the other... but fax machines and analog phones have not been polarity sensitive since they change the dials to include a dc pot bridge back in the late 70's.. before that they would not dial out if they were reversed.. prior to that ringing could be a problem if they were turned over.. we install all our digital and analog sets (100's of fax machines) using the same stock of long cords.. we but ours from north supply.. we buy the 13 and 21 ft cords plus rolls of 500 feet for special apps

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

Are you referring to North Supply in England? That is what I found doing a Yahoo search.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back