Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Nortel IP Softphone 2050 registry settings 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 21, 2009
US
I'm looking for the location where the softphone stores the TN that was used last on the PC its installed on. On a windows XP pro workstation I've gone through the registry HKCU\Software\Nortel and haven't come across it. I'm assuming its a registry key because of all the other settings stored there. Any ideas where to look? Thanks.

Ummm ... unfortunately I don't think the TN is stored as you can change it dynamically. It will store the server configs and such in the registry, but I did just look thru my registry and did not find anything that indicated a TN.

So, the best way to get the TN is to log on to the Nortel PBX and do PRT DNB in Load 22. If you don't know what the extension is then you still have a chance. If it is the only softphone or if you happen to know the persons name use Load 22 and perform this (prt i2050):
Req> PRT
Type> i2050 or 2050PC
depending upon which PBX you have (i2050 for CS1000M/smaller systems and 2050PC for CS1000E and larger systems)

you can not access the tn information from registry

I found that the TN is within the registry key HKCU\Software\Nortel\IP Softphone 2050\Profile\{GUID}\User Pin. The middle two hex values control what TN is displayed on the softphone on startup. For example the whole binary value is entered as 3e 23 99 52 4b ae d8 79. Changing the 52 4b will change the TN.
The next step is to put these values in a database that will be queried when a user logs onto the PC. So say I assigned Joe TN 252.0.1.12, when he logs on to any workstation in the office the script will query the db see that he has that tn and apply the binary value "3e 23 99 53 0b ae d8 79" to that registry key so when Joe starts his softphone its already properly configured. If anyone else is looking to do the same just post a reply and i'll attach the script once i'm done.

NICE!!! I did find mine!!! Thanks for finding TGHRG!
Ours is 0a bc 35 a3 4f 88 c4 e5 - so I would change the a3 and 4f, huh? Cool! * for you

So the binary key 'User PIN' is going to take some additional decoding. I started testing on some workstations on a different network and it changed the pin entirely. However, the PIN did stay the same for my TN on several workstations within that network. The two middle hex values still control what TN is displayed upon launching of the softphone. The only thing I can tell that's different is the network ID portion on the IP address. Changing the PC name doesn't seem to affect it, and all the PC's I've been using are from the same base image so they're all basically using the same install of the softphone. So, back to the drawing board I'll let you know what I find.

here is something i've found

On a fresh never before used PC with a fresh install of the 2050 you must go into the settings of the softphone and click on the Restore Defaults button under Hardware ID BEFORE ENTERING THE NODE ID AND TN.
It seems that the Hardware id registry key does not update properly with a fresh install of the softphone.
The hardware id must be refreshed BEFORE entering the Node and TN. This will update the registry key and the phone will register

I must have had about 20 PCs spit out a duplicate hwid error message before I found this problem. Since I’ve been doing this I haven’t gotten a duplicate message.

VERY NICE! I will try that!

It does seem that version 3.3 softphone 'fixes' this issue as I tried it on another persons PC as well as mine and we did not get the 'duplicate TN' message - however, we don't have a license server, so I would rather use the older softphone until we can get upgraded to 3.3 and get a server :) * for you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back