Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Nortel GBESM for IBM BladeCenter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 27, 2007
US
I have a Nortel Gigabit Ethernet Switch Module in an IBM BladeCenter. It is the only Nortel switch we have and am having an extremely hard time figuring out how to configure it. Also, this is the first Nortel network switch I have ever dealt with.

All I want to do is have the external 6 ports on VLAN 220 and trunk them all over to the core switch and create a default route, as this is a small network. I know how to configure the core switch, but the Nortel GBESM is so confusing to me.

Does anyone have any tips, manuals, or give the command syntax I need?

Unfortunately the Bladecenter switches are based off the Alteon's configuration screen. This is not the normal configuration for most of the Nortel gear. The baystacks are menu driven with with an easier menu flow. And teh 8600 and other 8000 chassis's are easy to understand once you know the structure. Please do not think that Nortel is that difficult with the Alteon menu. :-D

In the end it is what you are used to that makes it easier to understand. Here is something that will get you started in the right direction. I am not 100% sure on setting up the MLT, or static routes, so those I will leave out for you to explore one. But to get you started on the vlanning...

If you need to configure the external ports, you will need to go through the following menu options:

>>Main# cfg/l2/

>>Layer 2# vlan 220

>>Vlan 220# ena

>>Vlan 220# add EXT1
>>Vlan 220# add EXT2
>>Vlan 220# add EXT3
>>Vlan 220# add EXT4
>>Vlan 220# add EXT5
>>Vlan 220# add EXT6

Don't forget to perform "apply" to make your configuration changes active.
In fact it is a cut down application switch. Only the switching part remains.

So if you need documentation, check out

But just concentrate on the layer 2 part.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back