Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Nortel flash goes to factory default when power is lost 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 23, 2012
CA
i dont want to purchase a new voice mail, what needs to be replaced for the voicemail to keep its memory when the power goes out.

You will get more responses if you post in the NORSTAR forum.

Hi hurstolds307,
But since you posted the question ...

There are memory backup batteries in most phone switches, computers and voice mail hardware. The most common type of information storage used was hard drive, but the "Flash" voice mail was ... you guessed it, flash memory. Information retention requires back up power to be retained.

What to do ... the unit needs to be opened up and the battery replaced with the exact same kind of battery. Nicad batteries are most common, but you may also run into primary Lithium batteries. These are soldered in to the PCB, so you need a real electronics technician to replace it. Most IT people who are technical think they are qualified to do anything, but the truth is that they do not know exactly what they are doing, and fail to stop when they are out of their depth.

The famous line I am sick of hearing is:"I'm going to give it a try, if I blow it up I haven't lost anything because it wasn't working to begin with". Probably the most unintelligent mind set I've ever heard of out there. You must follow anti-static procedures as well. You can not re-use the existing solder either (it should have been removed). Last point. These are multi-layer PCBs, very easy to ruin the plated through holes, or delaminate the PCB material due to excessive heat and / or pressure.

Good luck with it, you should be able to have it repaired, Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back