Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Nortel Extranet Access Client 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I have Nortel Extranet Access Client (v03_70.18) installed on a Windows 98 machine. At home, I have DSL connected to a Linksys router with my home machine (Win XP Home Edition).

When I connect my laptop (win98) to the router and log in with the Nortel Client, I get logged on fine and can access all my Corporate resources. After about 5 minutes, I get an error stating "The Routing Table cannot be changed. Connection terminated.". I then have to restart my computer to connect again (and still only for 5 minutes).

I loaded a Nortel client on my home PC and was able to connect without any problem. The connection did not terminate after 5 minutes.

To test my work machine (laptop), I dialed into my ISP and then logged in with the Nortel client. Again, the routing table changed after 5 minutes and my connection was terminated so I know it's not the Linksys router.

The helpdesk at work is stumped. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

I'm attempting to run Extranet Access Client (either 3.70 or 4.10) without success on a W2k box. Immediately upon connection my machine reboots. I have an HP Pavilion 7970 which uses a Pentium 4 CPU that has caused other problems. Anyone have success running the software on a P4 chip?

I had a remote office that was having the disconnect issue every hour. It turned out to be that the router was using DHCP and the addresses were expiring every hour, the same time she was kicked off the connection with the routing table error. Check to see if you addres was recently renewed after you get the eror message.

Anyone know where to download a copy of Nortel's EAC v4.15?

I've had DNS/WINS issues using both versions 4.10 and 4.15 on Windows XP. The DNS server IP addresses are not actually used by the client. I received this email from Nortel regarding the DNS problem...

"Yes, there is a bug with the 4.10d software. Right now engineering is working on fixing this issue with a later revision of contivity code. I checked out the 4.15 release notes and they do not list that this is fixed."

I installed version 4.15 and the problem persists. For now I'm just hardcoding the DNS server addresses in my TCP/IP properties. After that, everything works fine.

We have a T1 Internet connection which terminates on the Cisco 2600 router. We have NAT enabled on the router. We also have a Linux based proxy server connected to the router through which we connect to the Internet. When we try to connect using Extranet access client we get connected to the Server but we loose connectivity to the internet as the default route changes. We also get disconnected every 5 mins from the VPN.

Have WinXP, installed eac410d.exe, and installed my Entrust software from my company. Rebooted. On the reboot of WinXP, the system suspends at the "Welcome" screen for probably 80 seconds and then continues into Windows.

After this, I put my company's DNS server in my TCP/IP properties and was actually able to connect to my company. After connection, at times, the Windows explorer became unresponsive (the Start menu wouldn't respond) but it seems to come back after 30 seconds or so and be fine.

Question is: does anyone know what's causing the long boot delay?

thanks!

To address the above question: I installed this Cisco VPN software, uninstalled, and then installed the Nortel 4.10 VPN client, and I noticed in my TCP/IP settings in my Local Area Connection, it removed the check box for "Use the following IP address" and I believe this may have fixed the issue where the computer hangs for 80 seconds at boot up time.

Now I'm able to connect to my company using the Nortel 4.10 software in WinXP. Hope everything continues well :)

currygoat

I am using a Win XP machine to connect to the internet using my ISDN connection. I have connection sharing enabled and have tried with the firewall settings enabled and disabled.

I then want to use Nortel Extranet Client on my laptop, connected to my Win XP machine using a 5 port hub. The home network is fine. The laptop also has an internet connection. But the Nortel Extranet Client just responds 'Host not responding'.

Can anyone help please?
Thanks

I am having trouble with Nortel Extranet to connect to my office VPN from my home DSL setup. I should explain that my ISP supplied an Efficient Networks 5260 external DSL modem and a Kingston NIC with EnterNet 300 software. That makes two NICS in my PC. I can get my DSL connection up and running through the Kingston/5260, but when I start the Extranet client to try and connect to my VPN I always get a message that my login id or password is incorrect. My office support people say I am not even hitting the VPN because it looks like I have never logged in. I am curious about one setting in the details of the Enternet 300 software which states SecurID is disabled. This is exactly how I am supposed to login (I have a SecurID token). Will the Nortel Extranet work with Enternet 300, or is it something else? I have done a tracert, which show a time out on the 10th of 14 ips that it hits on its way to my VPN.

If anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it. All the involved support folks keep passing the buck to the other guys being at fault.

Thanks.

I have installed Nortel Extranet Access Client V02_62.33 as supplied by my company. The authentication options set are Group Security Authentication & Response Only Token (Use Two-Factor Authentication Card). I have a network set up at home. All pc's are running Win98 SE. I am using Spoon Proxy on the Server and have an 8 Port Hub. I have installed the Extranet Client on the Server and 1 of the clients in the network. I have not had any problems running the Extranet Client when I connect from the server but when I try to connect from the client I always get the following error message: "Login failure due to remote host not responding"

Is it possible to connect from a client within the network? If so, what do I need to do and will my ISP be able to detect the fact that I am running a network?

I downloaded the latest client EAC412D. When I open the executable and the Installshield Self Extracting Exe opened up and gave me an error "The decompression of %s failed. There may not be enough free disk space available in the TEMP directory". Does anyone know what causes this error. The error doesn't allow me to go on from here.

For installing the Nortel Extranet Access VPN client on WinXP Pro using a router, you need to make the following adjustments:
1) Download v4 or greater of the Access client. A link to the site is mentioned above. Installing lower versions may leave you with the blue screen of death in WinXP.

2) To stop the timeouts try these 3 things:
2a)Try adding persistent connections to your routing table by using:
route -p add <Destination VPN Server IP Address> mask 255.255.255.255 <ISP Gateway IP Address>

You can get the VPN server address from your EAC logon screen (ping the name if you need to resolve the address) and the ISP Gateway you can get from ipconfig using a direct connection from your PC to your ISP.

2b) In the router under Port Forwarding you need to add ports 500 and 1723 to the IP address that is assigned to your PC that runs the VPN client (as noted above). You may have to assign a static IP address to the PC that runs the client.

2c) If your router supports RIP, disable it. RIP frequently refreshes the routing table which is now a big no no in v4 of the Access Client. For security reasons the Nortel VPN client no longer allows changes to the routing table during an active VPN session.

3) Good luck !

I have Windows XP at the office connected directly to a DSL modem. I'm trying to connect to a client's VPN. I've already done this on my Windows 95 machine successfully, but Windows XP is giving me problems.

I installed EAC415d on my XP machine without error. When I try to start it up I get the following error: &quot;The Contivity VPN Client driver was not loaded. The system was not rebooted after the Contivity VPN Client installation or the Contivity VPN Client installation encountered an error and needs to be installed again.&quot; I have installed it at least three times (and rebooted) with the same result.

A little background here might be helpful. I copied an old installation from my Windows 95 machine to my XP, just copied it en masse. I did this to get the previous group password, etc. Then I installed the XP compatible client over the top of that figuring it wouldn't ask me for the group password (which I didn't know, couldn't get). Well, that part worked. It didn't ask me for the group password and even warned me that it was installing over a previous Win95/98 version. But upon starting the VPN client, I got the above error.

I have no help from my client's network administrator who says XP is not supported. Any ideas out there?

When trying to connect I get the error message &quot;Checking for banner text from: <my companies ip address>&quot; followed in about 15 seconds by &quot;The secure Contivity VPN connection has been lost. Click Connect to re-establish connection.&quot; I'm running XP on one system and Windows2000 on my other system connected through an SMC 7004BR router to my cable modem. When I connect either system directly to the cable modem I connect without any problems. This leads me to believe I have an issue with the router. Anyone know what I need to do?

I am running W2k, using the extranet client V02_62.33 over DirecPC Satellite.

The first time each day, I can usually connect to the company W2K network and reach my Exchange mailbox.

Further attempts do not work. I have noticed that the TX - transmit light flashes, but the RX - receive light doesn't blink at all.

I can connect to the Internet anytime over the satellite, so know the satellite link is working.

Any ideas?

Guys, when using the Nortel Extranet VPN software make sure that your ISP allows VPN over its connection, We have had cases where ISP's do not.

We've got a similar situation with a slight twist.
We're running Nortel's Extranet Client on 2 workstations
behind a Linksys Broadband Router. Either client can successfully log in and do their remote work. Sometimes for an entire day. But usually only for 5 minutes or so. Then the client seems to timeout and the pc needs to be rebooted in order for the vpn client to work again.

I wish i could assign the tcp ports to the ip addresses of the client. Except that I have two clients and no way to differentiate betweeen them in the Linksys port assignment page (ie. how do i tell a port 500 packet to go to either 192.168.1.100 or 192.168.1.101???)

Wondering if anyone else has gone down this path...

regards
Luke

Aha!

I haven't tried it yet but it looks like me problems might be solve-ed (like Clouseau used to say :)

Just downloaded the latest firmware for the Linksys BEFR41 (the 4 port broadband cable/dsl router) and here's what one of the latest firmware upgrades fixed:

1.42.3 Jan 25,02

1. Router can support PCs with small MTU settings to configure the router.
2. Supports Applying settings without rebooting (Password, DHCP, MAC Filter, Forwarding, DMZ, MAC Addr.Clone)
3. Added DNS and WINS setting in DHCP User Interface page.
4. Support for UPnP forwarding loopback
5. Support for multi-IPSec pass-through
6. Fixed Nortel VPN pass-thru

7. Forced MTU enabled and size = 1492,when PPPoE is enabled
8. Added DHCP Lease time for LAN connections

Woohoo!
Gotta love the internet :)
Thanks for the tips...

Luke

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search