Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Nortel Extranet Access Client 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I have Nortel Extranet Access Client (v03_70.18) installed on a Windows 98 machine. At home, I have DSL connected to a Linksys router with my home machine (Win XP Home Edition).

When I connect my laptop (win98) to the router and log in with the Nortel Client, I get logged on fine and can access all my Corporate resources. After about 5 minutes, I get an error stating "The Routing Table cannot be changed. Connection terminated.". I then have to restart my computer to connect again (and still only for 5 minutes).

I loaded a Nortel client on my home PC and was able to connect without any problem. The connection did not terminate after 5 minutes.

To test my work machine (laptop), I dialed into my ISP and then logged in with the Nortel client. Again, the routing table changed after 5 minutes and my connection was terminated so I know it's not the Linksys router.

The helpdesk at work is stumped. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Go into your Nortel client before logging on and Disable KeepAlives. It sounds rather counter intuitive but fixed a similar problem I was having.

Thanks for the input. I tried the "Disable KeepAlives", but I still got the error after 5 minutes and was disconnected.

Any other ideas??

Thanks again.

I too am having the same issue, but with Win2000, while I was running Win 98, I had no problems. One difference that I have noticed is that when the Extranet client was installed in Win 98, it set up it's own Client and Protocol settings in networking, but when it was installed on Win 2000, no extra settings were added. Also, when looking in the Event log, there are DHCP warnings that the network card was unable to renew it's lease from the DHCP server (the DSL router would be the DHCP server prior to the VPN connection) that show up prior to the Extranet message about the routing table. I hope this little bit of trouble shooting can help someone more knowledgeable to help fix this.
Thanks, M

Strangest thing...

I re-installed my Novell client and problem completely went away. I have no idea why.

Just a thought for others having this problem.

My problem is that I cannot start "Nortel Extranet Access Client" on my Windows XP Pro at home. It states that is is not compatible with this version of Windows. Where can I get an updated version?

Extranet Access Client from Nortel is compatible with Windows XP.There is a note at Nortel about this issue.

I have installed the version 4.10 and it's sem to work at
times.I am getting an error about extranet.exe and ntdll.dll.

I dont know if it is because I have Windows XP Pro in french.

So you can try getting a file on the net called eac410d.exe.

This the latest Extranet Access Client from Nortel.

I just installed the latest version of EAC on my XP machine at home, and I'm able to connect (thanks minet), but once I get on, I'm not able to use any of my network functions, such as Telnet, or accessing any shared network drives. The Client Manager shows that it's connected and live, but everything else acts as though there isn't a connection. Any ideas?

minet, Kaioshin

I too just got the problem. My company gives out Nortel Extranet Client version 3.7 and it will not run on my new PC with Windows XP. I see you guys somehow got the eac410d.exe. Is there a spot on the Web to downlaod it. I cannot find it???

Any help would be most appreciated.

Dan

Here's a silly question for all of you...

After this VPN client connects (ver. 4), I get the following error when trying to TELNET to a client:

"Could not open connection to the host, on port 23"

Has anyone ever heard of or is even remotely familiar with this error? Any feedback would be helpful.

I am using a Netgear RT311 Internet Gateway/Router to share my cable modem connection with multiple computers. I had to reconfigure the router to forward Ports 500 and 1723 to the machine where I am using the VPN client. Otherwise I would get disconnected in 5 or so minutes. I found this suggestion elsewhere on the web.

My company is too slow to support the latest version that works with XP. I have the Nortel 2.62 version on my laptop, but it uses dial up. I want to use the Nortel 4.10 version on the XP with DSL, BUT the IT guys don't know the group password....only one man does and he won't give! Control freak if you ask me. He says it is a security issue, but isn't that what the logon name and user password is for?

To my point. Can I move a .ddl file or something from the 2000 machine to the XP machine to use the pre-installed password from my company from the older version to make the new version allow me to log on?

Or any other ideas would be appreciated!

Just in case it's relevant. Recently installed the Nortel 4.10 client on two XP (Home Edition) machines. One worked first time the other would not pickup DNS's. After comparing every setting I found that the pc that didn't work had actually installed a Nortel IPSECSHM adapter card under device manager (which is what happens under W2000 etc.)As this was not installed in the working machine, I removed it and straightaway the DNS's appeared!

Search for an app called Snadboy Revelation.
This will uncover the password under the *****

I think this was answered elsewhere, but at the risk of repating it: here goes. To all those whose extranet session "goes away" after about 5 minutes, I have a solution which works 100% for me. If you are using a home router which uses NAT (network address translation), yo need to log into your router and assign traffic on Port 500 to the DHCP address your computer was assigned (probably something like 192.168.1.xx (where 'xx' depends on your router). Bring up a command window and type 'ipconfig' to find your assigned address. Now, if you assign all Port 500 traffic to that IP, your Nortel EAC problems are over.

Explanation: there are two separate VPN 'tunnels' set up for EAC: a tx and a rx. The tx session is kept alive by the 'keepalive' TCP function on your client, but the RX session will disappear by timeout if no response is seen. Thats's why you'll see half of the Nortel "Globe" icon in the system tray blink every so often...that's the rx side being pinged to keepalive by the Nortel Server. Your router doesn't know what to do with traffic on Port 500, and throws it away, denying your client receipt of it and it's ability to respond. Ultimately the rx side times out, but the tx side still thinks things are good.

I have the same problem as Kaioshin,
I just installed the latest version of EAC on my XP machine at home (4.10). I've enabled IPSec and PPTP pass through on my LinkSys Router, and I'm able to connect, but once I get on, I'm not able to use any of my network functions, such as ftp, or accessing any shared network drives. The Client Manager shows that it's connected and live, but everything else acts as though there isn't a connection.

Has this problem been solved by anyone?

Thanks

I'm using the Nortel Access Client on a win98 machine. All is fine except, MS Outlook will only come up with client is online. Otherwise I get the message "UAL Network Error: Failed to resolve server name. Host not found." Connection Type: Windows Sockets". How do I dis-associate Outlook from Access Client to use it when: a) I am connected to work site. b) use Outlook with my own ISP.

I just search EAC & download version 4.10d over the net today. I am very happy that I may have a new hope on my WinXP. After the testing, here are the results.

1) Connect successfully, except .....
2) the dialog box "waiting for banner text" still waiting
3) DNS cannot update from server side
4) Use the dedicated IP address is fine (telnet 10.x.x.x)

Is it the beta version? Wish someone can fix the problem soon.

I am running the Extranet Access Client V03_70.30 on Win2000 and I also am having the problem (along with several other people in my office) where I get the error message "The Routing Table cannot be changed. Connection terminated." But it's not just after 5 minutes. Some days it works all day. Some days I get disconnected once or twice throughout the day. Other days (like today!) it's fine for a few hours and then I start getting disconnected every few minutes. I take care of our routers and firewall and I have verified port 500 is open. Is there anything else that could be causing these disconnects?
Thanks!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back