Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Nortel Dialing in problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbower

Technical User
Nov 22, 2004
US
here is another perhaps related situation. when i try to remote dial in to the Nortel the modem connects but i am not able connect with the switch. I believe all my settings are correct. I am set for VT-100, 8-none-1 and baud at 9600. any thoughts on the subject

Jerry Bower
Stategic Telecommunication
Field Technician

Is there an SEB modem attached to this pbx? If so, you will need to know and enter the SEB password.

It's a US Robotics. So its not a password issue.

Jerry Bower
Field Technician

Is the modem programmed for 9600? Is the port programmed at 9600? May need to reprogram the modem.

Did it work before or has it never worked? Proper cable in place?

It did work prior to this. I'm not sure if the other Tech that was here for a time replaced the modem. i can dial in and it answers but that is about as far as it goes.

Jerry Bower
Field Technician

Are you sure the TTY port didn't disable? If you know the TTY port, access the switch with a maint set, go into LD 37, stat it and enable it. Of course, if you have a local VDT, just use it to dot the same.

May also have been left in Meridian Mail screen. After modem answers hit CNTL+R to refresh screen.

One thing you can try is change to Mark, 7, and 1. I am not sure why, but we used to have 1/2 our sites at 8N1 and the other at 7M1. The PBX's were all configured the same on the front panel, 9600, but we would have to change the settings for many of them (all were on Port 0).

Just a suggestion.

Scott M.

two good thoughts vt220 or 320 and i have had to use the 7 space and none.. on a tty that is 8 none and one. ld 37 stat, then add a null modem in line and see if it will talk local

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

I just love Nortels serial ports, there so much fun to setup and get working.

First you may want to unplud the modem and plug directly in to the TTY port via DB9 to DB25 with a null modem adapter to verify you can connect to the port at 9600 8 n 1. If you can connect to the port directly you need to make sure the modem has the same settings of the port you are trying to connect to. This will at least narrow down the problem.

Also with your pc connected you can do a tty X in 37 to send characters to your pc. It should be a thru z, 1-9 and some other characters in there. Just make sure it is clear.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back