Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Nortel Contivity: works under WinNT, not Win2K

Status
Not open for further replies.

colintemp

Technical User
Feb 20, 2002
US
My company uses the Nortel Contivity client for VPN access, and I have that on my laptop which runs WinNT 4.0 At home I have two PCs, one running WinXP Pro and one with Win2K (with Service Pack 2). They share a cable modem via an SMC Barricade router. When I take the laptop home, I can connect to the VPN easily by hooking it up to the router and running the Nortel client, so this would indicate that the router configuration is fine (actually no extra configuration - the router firmware allows IPSec passthrough).

I got tired of taking the laptop home, and decided to try connecting via one of the home PCs. I've installed the Nortel client on both - v4.1 on the XP one (Nortel claims it should work) and v2.6 on the Win2K (the laptop also uses v2.6), but neither will connect. The XP one worked once, but never again, and I gave up since our corporate IT said there might be some issues.

However, the Win2K should work. I've disabled the local PC firewall, and there's no IPSec policy agent running, and I even turned off the Norton virus scanner. I get what seems to be the infamous Bannersock error when I run the Nortel client. After I click OK on the error message it looks like the connection is working, and clicking on the taskbar icon brings up the connection information, but in fact there are only outgoing packets (presumably the local PC trying to establish a connection) but no incoming packets.

Can anyone suggest a solution? I know there are some similar problems, but in this case I think I can assume there are no problems with the router, ISP, etc. i.e. anything outside the local PC, since the laptop works when going through the router.

I did try v4.1, but could not connect at all. At least I know that v2.6 works under NT with the laptop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back