Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Nortel Business Element Manager 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MIS
Oct 6, 2010
US
I've been trying to use the system to its full capacity and still cannot figure out something that seems like it should be so simple. I use commander for my phone systems and I have the BCM. Unfortunately, my BCM doesn't alway work properly. It will just stop working and need to be restarted or I'll need to restart the computer. Sometimes it will say "line is dosconnected" or "line out of use" or something of that nature. I was told that is is a compatibility issue. I am running windows 7 on Mac computer.

Because my BCM doesn't work on a consistent basis we have no way of knowing who is calling the reception desk. It would be much easier to know if the CEO is calling from their mobile phone number. The internal lines work and it wil come up as their name. (Because I know how to name the lines). What I am wondering if there is anyway to program incoming phone numbers? I have it set to "name" under preferences (rather than line or number). I am hoping there is a way to program numbers to show up on the telephone itself so that it can show a name rather than phone number. It normally would show up on the BCM after I program it the info in, but it only works about 50% of the time. It would be much better and more efficient for it to display the name on the phone. If only I can figure out how to do so.

I am considering using Avaya if I have to but I haven't gotten the license yet. I am trying to first see if there is any easier solution. Any suggestions out there? Any tips may help!

You can only display what you receive from the telco service provider. To see the name, you must subscribe to caller ID number and name display. Also, most mobile carriers still don't provide the name on calls they route. Some send only the city where the handset is registered. You can use the BCM monitor to see if you're actually receiving the name from the provider.

You can create "system speed dials" under "telephony" add the digits of your "CEO" cell number 916265551212 under "display" change to "name" under name enter "CEO". This will work for inbound and outbound display and should resolve your issue considering you have a PRI circuit.

Yes it is working, that was a great idea I hadn't ever thought of that. Thank you!

Process is called alpha tagging.

There's a setting in the speed dial list, which defines the digit it matches.

For example, you setup speed dial entries
412346 Dominos
412345 Home

If the match digits is 4, someone calling from home may show up as Dominos.

Ensure this is maximum value, to minimise problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back