Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Nortel Baystack 470T - Trunk Ports

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhearn

IS-IT--Management
Nov 6, 2000
CA
Greetings... I have a baystack 470T 48 port switch that
I created 2 Vlans on.

Vlan 10 for voice
Vlan 100 for data

Ports 1-40 are to be trunked ports with access to both
vlans 10 & 100.

Ports 41-48 are access ports with access to Vlan 100 only.

I can ping from Port 44 (for example) to Port 10. This should not happen.

When I do a display of "port configuration" here is what I see.... Should ports 1-40 not show as trunked? How do I make them trunked?
TIA....
Port Configuration

Port Trunk Status Link LnkTrap Autonegotiation Speed Duplex
---- ----- ------------ ----- ------- --------------- -----------------
1 [ Enabled ] Down [ On ] [ Disabled ] [ 100Mbs / Full ]
2 [ Enabled ] Down [ On ] [ Disabled ] [ 100Mbs / Full ]
3 [ Enabled ] Down [ On ] [ Disabled ] [ 100Mbs / Full ]
4 [ Enabled ] Down [ On ] [ Disabled ] [ 100Mbs / Full ]
5 [ Enabled ] Down [ On ] [ Disabled ] [ 100Mbs / Full ]
6 [ Enabled ] Down [ On ] [ Disabled ] [ 100Mbs / Full

Switch Configuration, Vlan Configuration, Vlan port configuration is where you set whether the ports are trunk or access ports. When you build a new VLAN and assign ports to it, they still retain their default PVID, unless auto PVID is turned on. If you need to make a port an access port, assign it to VLAN 100 and set the PVID to 100 as well.

Hi, Biv.

Thanks for the reply. Need further clarification though.
You say to assign PVID to the port, but autopvid is set on. The problem is, I need both Vlan 10 & Vlan 100 assigned to ports 1 - 40. How do I do that? Right now when I scroll through the ports on Vlan port configuration, I see only 1 VLan/PVID per port?

You can not have a port on the 470 be a member of (2)VLANS and still be an access port...aka it can not have (2)PVIDs.
You would have to set these as tagged ports and then include both VLAN on those ports.
Keep in mind however that this is not typically designed for workstations as most NICS DON'T support 802.1q VLAN tagging.
This (vlan tagging) is designed for switch to switch communication.
I hope this helps.
If you want to tag, you use the VLAN port configuration menu, and if you have fairly current code, you will see the different tagging options there under the "tagging" field which can be set per port.
I hope this helps.
-HH

Thanks, HH. This is what I am looking for !!

I have 2 Vlans, one for voice and one for data. I will just be tagging voice. The data can use the native vlan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back