Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Nortel 8010 QoS

Status
Not open for further replies.

TekhelpThanks

Technical User
Sep 28, 2012
US
Hello,

We are adding new VoIP phones on our network. Can someone review the below and let me know if the settings are correct on the Nortel 8010. Does the QoS level need to be changed to level 6 in order for QoS markings to be honored?

PORT AUTO SFFD ADMIN OPERATE DIFF-SERV QOS BLOCK MLT VENDOR DUAL SMLT ADMIN OPERATE AUTO
NUM TYPE NEG. DUPLX SPD DUPLX SPD EN TYPE LVL TFR ID NAME CONN ID ROUTING ROUTING RECOVER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1/1 GbicLx false false full 1000 full 1000 true core 1 false 0 IBM 0 Enable Enable Disable
1/2 GbicLx false false full 1000 full 1000 true core 1 false 0 IBM 0 Enable Enable Disable

Thank you for your help.

You don't need to change the internal qos settings. As long as you have enabled the port as a trusted port the switch will honor the dscp markings.

config ethernet <port> enable-diffserv

Actually, from refreshing my memory here:
Nortel interprets only DSCP of 40 or 46 as EF. (There's a table in Ch.2)
This means your stuff tagged as "6" will end up in a BE queue (6 is 48-56).
You should ensure your voice equipment is using the standard 5, (hopefully that will come out as 46 if it's tagging properly).
If you can't trust your voice equipment to tag properly, you will have to configure QoS policy and remarking.
Fiddling with the queues instead is probably not a great idea.

It actually depends whats in the 8010. Note that the 8010 is a 10-slot chassis, and the SF/CPU that you populate will define which one it is.
Can you list which SF and modules you have in the 8010?

It makes a difference for what its capabilities are. For example, 8100 series blades are Layer 2 only and dont support DSCP.

Thanks,
HH

Real trouble call:
Customer: "I have a huge problem. A friend has put a screensaver on my computer, but every time I move the mouse, it disappears!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back