Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NORTEL 6X16 C6 QUESTION

Status
Not open for further replies.

telllman

Vendor
Feb 9, 2010
CA
I was at a new site yesterday and the client has an issue with lines 1 and 2 calls cutting off when a second call comes in...The issue is not Rogers and I found the ports bad on KSU. All I did is moved the mods from lines 1 and 2 up to line ports 5 and 6. I went into programming and removed lines 1 and 2 from all sets and added in lines 5 and 6. This all worked well and no more issues.

Issue today is they cant make any calls starting with 1 (so no LD) so is it possible ports 5 and 6 were restricted ???? Also he has a C6 unit (I thought it was a ATA) there is no caller ID on lines now also...

Do I Need to change wires on the c6 ???

Long Distance
-Depends on what the symptom is, need details always!
Never say it does not work, always say what error you get.
Example in this case do you get a busy signal after dialing 1 or 11 digits, or is a Tone heard over the phone and simultaneously states Restricted Call on the display in which case the lines or set/s are restricted in programming.

C6 module
-The lines loop, from Demarc to the C6 then to the KSU.
So on the C6 make sure the cross-connects were moved from ports 1 and 2 to ports 5 and 6

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

So the restriction issue was on the line ports 5 and 6 were restricted-So the system was used I guess in the past and someone restricted the lines. I fixed this and its my fault for not looking I guess but I expected default settings as client only has 3 lines...

OK The C6 question. I do not think i need to touch the C6 as all I did was move mod cords on 616 from ports 1 and 2 for lines to 5 and 6. The C6 seems to be hooked up to Ext 30 on 616. I made sure that ext has all 6 lines assigned...

Still No Caller ID

"So on the C6 make sure the cross-connects were moved from ports 1 and 2 to ports 5 and 6"

If you do not think you have to do as suggested then I cannot help you going forward on this portion, perhaps somebody else can chime in as to why you shouldn't, or have at east tried while you were on site.

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

Hi- I am listening just trying to understand the way the C6 works-Is there a wire out for the C6 as I see the first 2 pairs currently seem looped so are lines 5 and 6 then on pairs White slate and Red blue ???

The install is very messy so I don't want to cause any different issues...Its on a Bix block...

"so are lines 5 and 6 then on pairs White slate and Red blue ???"
Correct!
It wires like an 8X24 where each line goes on the next pair to make 6 lines in a row (or 8 on the M8 Module).
Each line connected to the CLID Module needs to correspond with the KSU.

"I see the first 2 pairs currently seem looped"
Ok but they go to trunk ports 5 & 6 now so they are now not looped correctly, that's why you need to move the 2 loops on the C6 module from pins/pairs 1 & 2 to 5 & 6.

Wire diagram where cross-connects are looped from the Carriers Demarc (C.O. Lines) to the C6 Module then to the KSU

Correct method:
1 2 3 4 5 6 - C.O. Lines
|_|_|_|_|_| - Cross-connects
1 2 3 4 5 6 - C6 Ports
|_|_|_|_|_| - Cross-connects continued on
1 2 3 4 5 6 - KSU Trunk Ports

Wrong Method:
1 2 3 4 5 6 - C.O. Lines
1 2 3 4 5 6 - C6 Ports
[highlight #FCE94F]5 6 3 4 1 2[/highlight] - KSU Trunk Ports

What you need to do:
1 2 3 4 5 6 - C.O. Lines
[highlight #8AE234]5 6[/highlight] 3 4 X X - C6 Ports
[highlight #8AE234]5 6[/highlight] 3 4 X X - KSU Trunk Ports

Hope that better explains.

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

Many Thanks for all you help I appreciate the detail

You should move the cross connect at the dmarc and the C-6 module, not the mod cords.

Marv ccna

Your welcome

I could be wrong though, and all for nothing but in my head that is how I have always had it so I searched again for the guide and this time found it here.

Strangely it does not mention how to hook up the lines to the KSU, only a weak diagram....thus why I second guess myself.

I did however forget to ask you if you programmed the Caller ID for lines 5 & 6 for reception set which is done in Administration/Option 9 if recall.
Also if if AA is answering then set it to 1 or 2 rings if 0 rings does not work, generally Rogers is sent with the call where unlike POT's lines like Bell which is sent at 1.5 rings but I did have to bump the ring count for Rogers maybe once or twice out of hundreds of sites.

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

I did no caller ID programming on 616 at all-did not know there was a section-I looked thru config and line data did not see anything ??? Can you tell me where ADMIN is in system is it in General section ??? I will look at book and set up in lab...

General Admin/Call Service (which is Option 9) however dis-regard that section as it may not have Line parameters regarding CLID like the new software has.

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back