Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Nortel 4550 switch & Cops

Status
Not open for further replies.

mucca

MIS
Dec 21, 2006
GB
Hi Guys , does the new nortel 4550 switch have the ability to use COPS server as the BPS , 460 & 470 can ??
If so , any config tips ?
Any help much appreciated ,

Mucca

I don't use COPS, but I've got a 4500 on eval right now and can take a look - how is it configured on 460/470 switches?

I think you need a part of Nortel's Enterprise NMS (formerly Optivity) platform to really enable COPS although I might be wrong.

Cheers!

Yes ,guys it runs alongside ENMS and for 470,s you config it by web browse to ip , applications ,cops where you can input the address of the server where the enms sits .
Or device manager to QOS/COPS and then put ip address of the server as above .
This facility does not seem to ba available on the 4500 ?

Thanks for your interest guys , any help much appreciated.

Mucca

I looked at the web and CLI interface of a 4548GT-PWR and didn't see options for COPS anyplace so I called my local Nortel rep (BTW: the engineers in the Minneapolis office are awesome.) He looked at his feature-matrix tools and confirmed that RFC2748 and RFC3084 are only supported on the BPS, 460s and 470s. There isn't any mention of it being in the "plan or record" or "plan of intent" either... he suggested having your rep put in a feature request. That's worked for me before so I know if they think it'll sell a few more switches they'll listen, it would help if you document other vendor's products that support COPS.

Big thanks anthonyanderberg !
I will look into that suggestion !!

Mucca

From what I have seen and read along with off the record discussions with Nortel engineers, COPs never got much traction in the industry and you won't see it in future offerings. At the time it was announced I thought it was a good idea but it never got much acceptance from other vendors.

Thanks Guys , on another point with 4500,s from the command line if you type "menu" to access the nortel menu driven i/face , you get asked for a password ?? what would this be ? I have the switches straight out of the box , so I guess it must be a default one ?
Any help much appreciated.

Mucca

I saw that too, I think its some kind of low-level diagnostics menu with an unfortunate access command. There are similar things on other products, I assume if you called Nortel with an issue they could generate a password based on the date and base mac address that will allow access for a few days.

Thanks Anthonyanderberg ! on another note what is needed to make 4500 switches route ??
Do you have to have a special license ?
Excuse my ignorance , I am new to the 4500,s

Big Thanks

Mucca

ERS4500 (or I should call it as ES4500) doesn't support routing so far. Nortel might release a new software to support routing on ERS4500 before the end of this year.

Thanks Yulincole , Yes the desciption is incoorect with the ERS label !!
I guess they will need a 5500 switch !!

Big thanks all
Mucca

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back