Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

nortel 1424t 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

frostage

IS-IT--Management
Dec 5, 2003
GB
I have about 20 1424t switches now in my control, i have mastered most of it by using my cisco knowledge, however i can use device manager by nortel on most of them however a select few will not allow me to connect saying "not a supported device" can anyone help me as i have read all the manuals and there is very little to help me with this problem

Are all the 1424's at the same software revision?

sorry The software revisions are as follows the switch which i can access with device manager is firmware revision 2.1.1.0 the switch i cant connect to is 2.0.0.b32 frostage

There's your answer. I'd make sure all the switches are at the same release - I think that 2.1.3 (maybe 2.1.4) is the sustaining release for 1424.

Or perhaps it might just be a quirk with your version of Device Manager. DM 5.7 or 5.8 should work with both. I believe that 5.6.1 was the oldest release you could use with the 1424.

thanks for you advice biv i now believe you have pointed me to the problem, with regards to the firmware level. Next question i know how to update the firmware but does it lose all the config on the switch when i do it again there is insufficient information on this unit.

Switch config will remain after a software upgrade. I'd recommend getting a copy of the config before hand just in case. I've upgraded a handful of 1424 units with no issues.

To Biv
Hats of for allowing me to quiz you with regards to the nortel kit, your help has been very very valuable to me. thanks
frostage

Hi, i also have a nortel 1424, my problem is it has a username and password set. Do you no if there is any way that i can recover the password?

Thanks.

Maybe through device manager, provided you know the SNMP strings of the box. I think you can wipe the config/factory reset the 1424 through JDM.

Unfortunately, if you don't know the SNMP strings or username/password, it may need to be RMA'd through Nortel.

Thanks, unfortunately I do not no the SNMP so looks like it's of to Nortel.

Thanks for you help anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back