Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Nortel 1140E MWI light 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

GordonKapesMZ4

Programmer
Nov 28, 2010
US
Hi, I have a Nortel 1140E SIP phone connected to an Asterisk platform and the MWI light takes about an hour to come on and an hour to shut off.....

The Cisco phone and Avaya SIP phone I have do not even respond to MWI.

Any thoughts?

Hi BIV343,

I recreated the SIP extensions on the voip.ms Asterisk switch and had 3 results with my 3 different phone types:

Cisco phone works flawlessly, the MWI turns on and off when it's supposed to.

Nortel 1140E and 1120E MWI light turns on when Voice Mail is left….BUT DOESN’T TURN OFF WHEN MESSAGE IS DELETED AND VOICE MAIL IS LOGGED OUT….I am pulling my hair out over this one! In order to clear the MWI, I have to reboot the phone and it comes up with the light off. Then when I leave a new message, it logs back on again.....SIP is SIP, shouldn't it work the same on all servers? Maybe not, eh?

What firmware do you have on the phone?

Hi Biv,

Here is the firmware that is loaded on the phone:

SIP1140e04.03.09.00.bin

Another interesting development:

The 1140E phone works with MWI almost perfectly now. When I get a message, the MWI pops on, and when I press Goodbye the MWI light dissapears. BUT, if I press the # key to exit, the MWI light stays on!

Not so on the 1120E SIP phone I have with the same 04.03.09.00 firmware load. It receives a MWI light, but pressing the Goodbye or # key does not turn off the MWI light. I've tried deleteing and restablishing the extension, but that doesn't seem to help.
I'll keep trying.

I have the Emetrotel guys reviewing the code of my system, but I wonder if it's some type of timer or setting on my 11xx phones that caused the MWI to hang on. I changed the Refresh setting to 5 on both phones.

The Cisco 7970 (color display) phone that I have connected to the same Call Server, works perfectly with MWI.

Cheers,

JP

Is all of this being done with a local server or are the phones remote?

I have seen problems with remote phones and MWI and BLF's.

I've never registered a phone directly to a provider, but I wonder if busster is on to something. Guess i'm just a low tech PBX guy. One thing I do know is that SIP isnt as much of a standard as people would think. I always joke that it stands for "sh*t isn't perfect". To eliminate variables in the outside world, why not set up your own server and test to that? If that isn't an option, run Wireshark and see if the provider is sending the notify message to kill/light the lamp. If the message comes and the phone doesn't respond, then you have your answer.

Your 11XX phones have the newest firmware, but remember that Norvaya is going to optimize the code to work with their systems first. If it happens to work with others, then that's a bonus. It seems that these days they have their hands full trying to make their stuff work with their own equipment.

Hi Biv and Busster,

The SIP phones are deployed on a local call server along with Unistim phones.

Unistim phones works properly with MWI and the Cisco 7970 phone I have also works properly.

The Nortel SIP phones seem to be an issue......they sporadically work with MWI. 3 conditions exist when a message is left or deleted or VM is exited:

-MWI will flash on upon receiving message, but once new message is deleted MWI will stay illuminated until next registration (usually 30 minutes) or rebooting the phone.

-MWI will not come on at all until the next registration or rebooting.

-MWI will not shut off aff receiving a message until phone is rebooted again.

I've read some information on various sites about deleting the SIP extensions and recreating them once a VM mailbox is created and the MWI should work.

On the SIP registration page, I've also set the Message config option to extension@default as directed to engage MWI. Extension@device apparently doesn't work.

Still nothing.....these Nortel phones are great, I don't want to give up. I know it has to work.....

I had it working the other night perfectly, but only on one extension that I created from scratch.

Confusing....

Biv, FYI, I tried the SIP MWI with the oldest version of Nortel SIP firmware version 1.0? something and still no success. Then tried 2.2 and no success either.

I also tried a 1220 and same problem.

I did some network testing and nothing seems to be wrong on the Call Server end, it's somehow in the firmware on the 11xx and 12xx sets.

I tried a Cisco, Polycom, Grandstream and Aastra MWI and they all worked perfectly.

Is there a way to make the SIP phone re-register every 10 seconds when idle? Why does it register only every 30 minutes?

Thank you!

I am having the same problem. I have been able to change the setting to have it re-register ever 10 mins. I have also changed the asterisk setting in /etc/asterisk/vm_general.inc.

pollmailboxes=yes ; these are commented out by default.
pollfreq=1

I have also changed extension@device to extension@default.

I now have the light turning off when goodbye is clicked but it will not turn on the light when a message is left. Did anyone ever solve this issue.

hey I have noticed when you use the command
Code:
sip show peer
if ==> SIP Options : (none) ; the mwi will work correctly
if ==> SIP Options : replaces replace timer ; the mwi will not work correctly

Does anyone know where this can be set. When i delete and recreate an extension it changes to none until I look at and delete a voice mail.

I've still had no luck with this, I've just given up for now. It's very unpredictable with the 11xx and 12xx sets.

I have a Cisco 7970 on the same Call Server using SIP and the MWI works flawlessley.

The problem is inherent in all versions of Nortel SIP firmware. I loaded the early SIP 2.2 Nortel version and the problem still occurred.

Every other SIP feature works wonderfully, so having this one darn MWI problem is quite frustrating.

I wish I had answers......

I ended up changing the max expiry time to 2 mins now the message light will go away in two mins at the most. This forces the phones to register and turns on or off the MWI accordingly. I figure that will work till we can get different phones.

hi Mgrund,

Did you change that on the phone or Asterisk.

Can you tell me how to do this?

Thank you,

Joe

I hoping you have freepbx on this. (most asterisk installs do) Once you have the ip of the asterisk server into a web browser. click on the "Tools" tab. then click on "Asterisk Sip Settings" on the list below. Then change (maxexpiry) under the "Registration Settings" heading.

If you need the file to change it in I can find it.

http://www.mediafire.com/imageview.php?quickkey=z2qmcpm6ifqozcv
Hi all,

My MWI light is now working properly on my Nortel 11xx and 12xx SIP phones. The problem was caused by a bug in Asterisk that has now been fixed on the UCx from Emetrotel.

The bug and fix will be tracked in the Asterisk bug reporting system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back